Was Dan Maes offered a deal, maybe even a govement job, to drop out of the governor's race? The blogosphere was abuzz after thePost
'sLynn Bartels broke the Maes story
, wondering who might have made the offer.
The bigger question: What job could you possibly give Dan Maes? Here are five possibilities:
1) Head of the Commission on the Aging. Just look at the sensitivity that Maes has shown to 83-year-old politico Freda Poundstone.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
2) Résumé writer. Don't have any fancy credentials? Don't worry -- neither did Maes, but that didn't stop him from beefing up his web site.
3) Head of the Gaming Division. Maes's "undercover" work in Kansas involved an alleged gambling ring -- but resulted in no arrests that anyone can recall. That's the kind of tough oversight Colorado casinos would like to see.
4) Long-distance driver. Judging from the amount Maes has reimbursed himself for mileage from his campaign coffers, this guy is a tireless driver. Or tireless fact-fudger.
5) Magician. How, exactly, did this guy wind up the Republican candidate for governor?