Marijuana

Medical marijuana dispensary review: Alternative Wellness Center gives Highland alternatives

Page 2 of 2

Alternative Wellness Center

Location: 2647 West 38th Avenue Phone: 720-855-6565 Website: http://altwellcenter.com Hours of operation: 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday, noon to 5 p.m. Sundays Owner/manager: Ed Kieta Mission statement: "We are very passionate about cannabis. It is the most safe and effective medicine out there, as well as a safe recreational substance." Opened: December 2009. Raw marijuana price range: $40/eighths for members, $50/eighths for members. Other types of medicine: hash, edibles Handicap-accessible: ADA compliant

The red paint on the outside is hard to miss from the street, and it sets this clinic apart from the three other dispensaries within a stone's throw of each other. Owner Ed Kieta says that when he opened Alternative Wellness Center, his biggest concern wasn't the competition but that residents in the surrounding Sunnyside neighborhood would object to having so many pot shops on the block. There haven't been any problems, though, and Kieta hasn't seen anything worse than a random hug breaking out in front of the dispensary.

The front waiting room has a clean, modern, industrial feel, with stained concrete flooring, steel coffee tables and a massive iron tree sculpture hanging on the exposed cinderblock walls; the feel continues into the back. The space here isn't huge, but Kieta has done a good job of setting things up so that everything flows and doesn't feel cramped. A second patient lounge is set up on one side, and a long metal-and-wood display bar takes up the other half. Black-and-white photos of old Denver hang framed on the light khaki-green walls.

After I filled out three pages of standard paperwork, I was buzzed back to the dispensary -- where I was met by a small dog who dropped a chewed-up ball at my feet and urged me to kick it, which I did. Kieta says the surprisingly quick West Highland terrier, Lily, is also a trained therapy dog that does rounds at local hospices. Glancing up from petting Lilly, I must have had a confused look on my face as I looked at the selection of jars at the bud bar. ."We're kind of low on strains right now," the budtender said, pointing to the seven jars behind the glass sneeze guard covering part of the bar. "But what we do have is pretty good."

The nice thing about the small selection was that I could let the budtender break out all of the strains without feeling like an asshole. The first jar was full of big fat buds of the shop's slightly purple-hued Bubba OG, which the budtender said looked like it was covered in diamonds; the shop also had a grape-purple strain called Querkle, a mix of Purple Urkle and Space Queen. The budtender pulled out a jar of Banana Kush that looked good, though it was a bit leafy, as he pointed out. He also admitted that while the Durban Poison looked large and healthy, it wasn't as good as the last batch in the shop.

The hash from the Durban, though, was another story, and at $15 for a half-gram it made more sense to just go with the concentrate. My only issue was that the tops were off the jars to help dry the strains, leaving the smell on most of them dull. Kieta says that Alternative Wellness Center primarily carries its own plants from its 6,000 square-foot grow space. The shop is running about 80 percent of its crop in organic soil and the other 20 percent hydro.

The second half of the counter was devoted to edibles, including Cheeba Chews. These Tootsie Roll-like candies are filled with so much hash oil that the shop makes people sign a waiver before buying them. "They are so intensely strong," my budtender told me. "I've had people tell me they ended up on the floor in a fetal position." I decided against getting a Cheeba Chew.

Page down to find out what I did decide on.
KEEP WESTWORD FREE... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
William Breathes
Contact: William Breathes