Occupy Trinidad has a hot idea for the cold months ahead

Keep Westword Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Denver and help keep the future of Westword free.

With temperatures predicted to plummet to just above zero later this week, Occupy Denver is looking increasingly like Occupy Iceberg. But protesters in a small Colorado city a few hours to the south -- Occupy Trinidad -- have figured out how to keep themselves occupied in the cold winter months ahead.

Here's the missive that Doug Holdread, who's been instrumental in the fight to keep the Army from making further incursions into Pinon Canyon, just sent out:

We're fortunate to live in Trinidad. Things are still on a sustainable, human scale. We can still make healthy choices for ourselves and our community.

Choices like investing in Trinidad's economy by doing business locally and putting our money into local financial institutions.

Choices like supporting local agriculture; everything from community gardens, to farmer's markets, to family ranching operations.

Choices like supporting the rights of workers in our community to organize and to receive fair wages and to work under humane and safe conditions.

Choices to reclaim our land, water and natural resources as our own, so that we can take advantage of the abundance of solar, wind, and geothermal resources that are healthy and sustainable.

Choices like supporting our local cultural organizations by attending concerts by local musicians and buying art created by local artists and visiting local museums.

We are at a point where making these choices is more important than ever. The economic disparity between the richest 1% and the rest of us, "the 99%," is threatening everything that we hold dear. Our elected representatives overwhelmingly belong to the 1%. They serve corporate, Wall Street interests instead of serving the people. They have failed to fund education and health care and alternative energy development. They spend billions each week on high-tech wars in foreign lands where we are not wanted while neglecting our returning veterans.

We find ourselves being buried in debt, losing our homes, our educational opportunities, our jobs and our future economic security because of the unfair, unethical and often illegal manipulations of insiders in Washington and Wall Street.

That is why we have organized an "Occupy Trinidad" group. It is clear to us that it is now, or never. The old system is broken beyond repair. It is time for us to engage together in the creation of new ways to serve the common good.

We commit to "occupying" Trinidad by being fully present in our community, setting aside our political and religious differences in order to engage in a conversation together which focuses upon our common concerns and aims at solutions that we can all embrace. We commit to engaging in a more horizontal and inclusive expression of democracy which works toward consensus.

Here in Trinidad, 100% of us can support and protect each other in this place that we "occupy" and call our home.

That warms the heart... and the hindquarters, too, as the temperature drops.

More from our Calhoun: Wake-Up Call archive: "Molly Midyette denied a new trial after judge rules she wasn't a battered woman (VIDEO)."

Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.


Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.