Police roundup at DNC leads to $200,000 settlement: Inside the protest, trial (PHOTOS)

Page 2 of 2

At the time of the convention, Sidwell says, "I was a student at the Art Institute of Colorado -- and I thought the DNC might be a very good opportunity to practice some of my documentary skills. I've always had an interest in all different forms of activism and the methods people use to protest. I was more interested in documenting the things happening on the streets as opposed to the fancy events of the DNC itself."

Sidwell was hardly the only AIC student with such thoughts. "The school had a big group meeting before the convention. They said, 'This quarter is going to be interesting with the DNC going on.' After all, the Art Institute is only about two blocks from the Capitol. They told us we needed to be aware that security was going to be tight, and then the head of the photography department spoke. He acknowledged that a lot of us would want to photograph this, and that it was an amazing opportunity to practice our skills. Then, after telling us to be careful, he passed out a box of business cards. He said he'd spoken to someone in the police department -- I think he said the Chief of Police, although I'm not positive -- and he said if you provide a copy of the card in combination with a student ID, we would be treated as press."

Armed with these cards, Sidwell dove in to the DNC: "I covered almost every protest there, including the Iraq veterans against the war march." She was also on hand at Civic Center Park during the early evening of August 25, the convention's second day, when a large number of people began gathering for a rally reportedly intended to disrupt the convention.

"The crowd began to march," Sidwell recalls, "at which point a line of police officers just sort of cut them off and wouldn't let them proceed. Then, after a few moments, the crowd turned on itself and reversed directions, cutting through Civic Center Park and heading toward the 16th Street Mall. A lot of them crossed the street without waiting for the light to change, and the police blocked off the road ahead of them.

"At this point, I was trying to stay ahead of the crowd -- trying to get to the 16th Street Mall and find a more elevated place to stand. I think I was on Court Street when a line of police on horses prevented me from continuing down that way. And long story short, we all got corralled in, hundreds of us. They circled us and kept everybody inside the circle -- and not all of them were part of the protest. Some of them were just people walking by. I saw some sixteen- and seventeen-year-old girls coming from the 16th Street Mall in flip-flops and spaghetti straps, worried that their parents were going to be mad at them."

Although Sidwell wasn't technically a journalist, she was acting as one -- "but the police didn't seem to care. I saw somebody holding a press badge go up to a riot officer. He was saying, 'Press, press, press,' but they sprayed him with whatever chemical they were using at the time." Not that she sensed a great deal of risk from her fellow confinees. "I didn't see the crowd as being violent," she allows. "I felt safer in there with the protesters than I did going near the police. They were treating everyone in that circle as the enemy regardless of the truth."
KEEP WESTWORD FREE... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Michael Roberts has written for Westword since October 1990, serving stints as music editor and media columnist. He currently covers everything from breaking news and politics to sports and stories that defy categorization.
Contact: Michael Roberts