Enter to Win a Pair of Tickets to see Joseph at the Fox Theatre, 2/8!
The sophomore effort from Oregon-bred trio Joseph, Good Luck, Kid is a road movie in album form, an odyssey at turns emotional, existential, and entirely literal. With their intimate storytelling and restless intensity, Natalie Schepman and her sisters Allison and Meegan Closner detail that journey in songs that careen and sprawl and often soar, ultimately spinning a narrative of life-changing transformation.“
The through-line of the album is this idea of moving into the driver’s seat of your own life—recognizing that you’re the adult now, and everything’s up to you from this moment on,” says Natalie. “You’re not completely sure of how to get where you need to go, and you don’t have any kind of a map to help you. It’s just the universe looking down on you like, ‘Good luck, kid.’”
In the making of Good Luck, Kid, Joseph deliberately strayed from the dreamy folk of their 2016 debut I’m Alone, No You’re Not, giving way to a far grittier and more dynamic sound. Produced by Christian “Leggy”Langdon (Meg Myers, Charlotte OC), the result is a nuanced breed of pop/rock built on thick drums and lustrous guitars, heavy grooves and radiant melodies. Despite that bolder sonic palette, Good Luck, Kid remains centered on the band’s crystalline vocal work, including the other worldly harmonies that suggest a near-telepathic connection among sisters.
Kicking off Good Luck, Kid with the sweeping lead single “Fighter,” Joseph immediately prove the transcendent power of that connection, even as their lyrics speak to a nearly disastrous discord. “That song’s about how our band almost broke up,” explainsNatalie. “It’s the story of the three of us wanting different things and dealing with that conflict, and eventually deciding to just keep going.” Driven by a heady momentum, Good Luck, Kid then takes on the breakneck pace of the title track, a gloriously dizzying anthem that channels the raw urgency of desire. But on “Green Eyes,” Joseph shift into a torchy poignancy, echoing the album’s undercurrent of romantic devastation. “‘Green Eyes’ is about wanting to stay with someone but giving them the freedom to walk away, and feeling the pain of realizing that they’re no longer in this with you,” Meegan points out.
On“Revolving Door”—the gorgeously sorrowful centerpiece to Good Luck, Kid—that pain reaches a heart-crushing crescendo. “As we were putting the record together, the arc that emerged was ‘Hope, Betrayal, Rebirth,’” says Meegan. “We put ‘Revolving Door’ at the middle because it’s about that moment of finally realizing ‘Okay, you don’t choose this—you don’t choose me.’ It’s the pinnacle of betrayal, and it’s the turning point for the whole album.”
With the remainder of Good Luck, Kid documenting what Natalie describes as “a rising-up out of the ashes,” Joseph grace every song with the captivating chemistry they first discovered upon forming in 2014. Spontaneously choosing their name on a trip to visit their grandfather in the Oregon town of Joseph, the band got their start playing backyard parties, and gradually amassed a devoted fanbase. Following the release of I’m Alone, No You’re Not—an album made with Mike Mogis (First Aid Kit, Jenny Lewis)—Joseph soon began taking the stage at major festivals like Bonnaroo and touring with such artists as James Bay and Amos Lee. As they brought Good Luck, Kid to life, the Closner sisters expanded on the elegant synergy of elements initially glimpsed on their debut: Meegan’s sharp melodic skills, Allison’s gift for uncovering the emotional heart of each track, and Natalie’s extraordinary songwriting instincts. “Making this album, there were so many times when we’d be trying to come up with the next verse to a song, and Natalie would pull together something amazing completely out of nowhere,” Allison recalls. “It’s like she’s some kind of magician.”
In reflecting on the quiet metamorphosis chronicled within Good Luck, Kid, Joseph hope that the album might spark a similar evolution in listeners. “For me this record is about stepping out of being a victim, and I’d love for it to help people feel like they have the power to change their own lives too,” says Meegan. In the spirit of that well-wishing, Good Luck, Kid closes out with a starkly arranged but unforgettably tender benediction called “Room for You.” “My best friend recently had a baby, and as I was holding him I had this feeling like, ‘I never want you to hurt, ever,’” says Natalie. “I love the idea of ending the record by sending people off with that message: ‘I hope the world makes room for you and your dreams.’ I know that an album can’t ever fix anything, but I hope it can be a balm whatever’s hurting, and helps people feel like they’re truly believed in.”
Register to Enter
Loading sign up instructions
Enter to Win a Pair of Tickets to see Joseph at the Fox Theatre, 2/8!
SWEEPSTAKES OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS SWEEPSTAKES. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. ELIGIBILITY: This Sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of the contiguous United States and the District of Columbia, who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. You need not be present to win. Employees (and their immediate families or those living in the same household) of Denver Westword/Fox Theatre and their/its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, parent and related companies, suppliers, printers and advertising, promotional and judging agencies are not eligible to enter or win.
2. HOW TO ENTER: Sweepstakes begins at 12:01 a.m. EDT on December 30, 2019 and ends at 11:59 p.m. EDT on February 3, 2020. You may enter this Sweepstakes via either the in-store, on-line or mail-in entry methods described below. Regardless of entry method, you may enter only once. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. EDT of the last day of the Sweepstakes, i.e. February 3, 2020, whether submitted online, deposited at a participating location or mailed. Proof of depositing entry in mail is not considered proof of delivery or receipt. No photocopied or mechanically reproduced entries will be accepted. Illegible, incomplete and duplicate entries will be disqualified. Entries will not be accepted from post office boxes. All entries become the property of Sponsor(s) and will not be returned.
a. ON-LINE ENTRY METHOD: Beginning on December 30, 2019, you may enter the Sweepstakes via the Internet by logging on to the westword.com/freestuff and following the entry directions. You may be required to register or to otherwise provide some or all of the following information: your name, address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, age, e-mail address and the metropolitan service area for which you are entering. Online entrant must be the registered subscriber of the e-mail account by which the entry is made. In the event of a dispute as to entries submitted by multiple users having the same e-mail account, the authorized subscriber of the e-mail account (as specified by the Internet Service Provider) used to enter the Sweepstakes at the actual time of entry will be deemed to be the entrant. Entries made by any individual or any entity other than the named entrant and/or originating at any other Internet Website, including (but not limited to) commercial sweepstakes subscription notification and/or entering service sites are void.
b. MAIL-IN ENTRY METHOD: Alternatively, you may enter the Sweepstakes by hand-printing the words Enter to Win a Pair of Tickets to see Joseph at the Fox Theatre, 2/8! Sweepstakes, your name, age, address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, and e-mail address (if applicable) on a 3”x 5” card and mailing it in an envelope to Enter to Win a Pair of Tickets to see Joseph at the Fox Theatre, 2/8! The Prize includes: a Pair of Tickets to see Joseph at the Fox Theatre on 2/8. The approximate total retail value of the Prize is $27.50. The total value of all Prizes to be awarded is $55. All federal, state, and local tax liabilities are the sole responsibility of the Winner. No transfer, substitution, or cash equivalent for the Prize permitted, except by Sponsor(s) in its sole discretion. Winner may be required to complete and return an IRS W-9 form (i.e. Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification).
4. RANDOM DRAWING: A total of (1) Prize Winner(s) will be selected in a random drawing from among all eligible entries, by judges selected by Sponsor(s), whose decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Sweepstakes. The Prize is guaranteed to be awarded. Only one Winner per household is permitted. The Winner will be notified by telephone, e-mail or mail service by February 3, 2020.
5. Prize conditions: No substitution for any prize will be permitted. If necessary due to unavailability of the Prize, a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded at the discretion of the Sponsor(s). Prize is not transferable, assignable or redeemable for cash. Winner will be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Publicity/Liability Release within fifteen (15) days of issuance. Failure to return all required documents in this time period may result in the Winner being disqualified and an alternate Winner selected. If a prize notification is returned to Sponsor(s) as undeliverable or if an entrant is found to be ineligible or declines acceptance of the Prize for any reason, an alternate Winner will be selected. By entering this Sweepstakes and/or accepting the Prize, Winner and entrant hereby consent (except where prohibited by law) to the reasonable use by Sponsor(s) of the Winners’ and entrants’ photograph, voice, likeness and/or image, hometown address, contents of the entry form and the name and age of the Winners and entrants without any further compensation for any future promotional activity related to this Sweepstakes.
6. ODDS OF WINNING: Odds of winning a Prize depend on the total number of eligible entries received for the Sweepstakes and are equal regardless of method of entry.
7. CONDUCT OF PARTICIPATION: By entering the Sweepstakes, entrant affirms that he or she has read and agrees to abide by the Official Sweepstakes Rules and the decisions of the judges. Sponsor(s) reserves the right to disqualify any entrant acting in violation of the Official Rules or found tampering with the entry process or with the operation of the Sweepstakes or the website. The Sweepstakes is governed by the laws of the United States and, by entering, all Winners and entrants hereby submit to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state and local courts located in [Denver, CO]. ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE RELATED TO SPONSOR(S) OR THE SWEEPSTAKES OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR(S) RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
8. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Sponsor(s) and each of their/its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, parent corporations, and their respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents, are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate entry information, theft, tampering, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries; printing or other errors; and any entries or mail which are late, lost, delayed, incomplete, misdirected, stolen, mutilated, illegible, postage due or any combination thereof. Sponsor(s) reserves the right to modify, suspend or terminate the Sweepstakes in the event that it becomes necessary due to circumstances beyond Sponsor(s)’ control. In the event the Sweepstakes is terminated early, a winner will be selected from all eligible entries received at the time of termination.
9. RELEASE OF LIABILITY: By participating, Winner and entrants agree to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor(s) and each of their/its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, parent corporations, and their officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents from and against any claims made by the Winner, entrants or any other third parties related in any way to the operation of this Sweepstakes, as well as any other claims, damages or liability due to any injuries, damages or losses (whether alleged, threatened, or actual) to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Sweepstakes-related activity or participation in this Sweepstakes.
10. WINNERS LIST: For an Official Winners List (available after February 3, 2020) or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Enter to Win a Pair of Tickets to see Joseph at the Fox Theatre, 2/8! Sweepstakes - WINNERS - or - OFFICIAL RULES (please specify), c/o Marketing Department, Denver Westword. All requests must be received by February 3, 2020. Official Rules also available at www.westword.com/promotions/freestuff.
12. SPONSOR(S): Denver Westword/Fox Theatre
THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
2018 [Denver Westword] All rights reserved.Close