Enter to Win a Pair of Tickets to see Magic City Hippies at the Fox Theatre, 2/6!
If you’re playing in Miami, you’ve got to get bodies moving.
Over the years, the city has been home to Latin pop royalty and ascendant Soundcloud rappers; played host to bass-booming EDM fests and the golden years of disco legends. It’s also why Miami’s latest genre-defying dynamos, Magic City Hippies, are primed to take their infectious indie-funk around the world.
“We’re always out to entertain people,” promises singer-guitarist Robby Hunter. “Miami is a nightlife city,” he adds with a tinge of excitement. “People are oriented towards staying out all night. Anything you do has to make them dance.”
As Magic City Hippies approach the Aug. 16 release of their standout debut album Modern Animal -- a mosaic of poolside grooves and lingering, sun-kissed melodies -- the trio’s origin story remains central to its crowd-pleasing mission statement.
First it was just Hunter -- hustling the Miami streets, plugging his guitar and looping pedals into whatever power source he could find. Sometimes crowds formed; sometimes others joined in. On a good night, he’d maybe earn a hundred bucks. The next stop was Barracuda Bar & Grill, a popular Coconut Grove dive where Hunter became a regular performer and forged a sublime chemistry with the rest of Magic City Hippies’ present-day lineup: guitarist John Coughlin and drummer-producer Pat Howard. They began playing ‘90s rock and hip-hop covers to weekend warriors and college crowd regulars, before live-testing their first original tracks in 2011. “There was something special when we played those sets,” Howard remembers. “We’d go for four hours, not even rehearsing. Then Robby came to the table with some originals.”
The easygoing psych-rap nugget “Corazon,” released when they were still called Robby Hunter Band, shot to No. 1 on the Hype Machine in 2013; after shifting to Magic City Hippies, “Fanfare,” the swaggering opening track off 2015’s Hippie Castle EP, topped Spotify’s Global Viral 50 chart, thanks to a burgeoning online fanbase. With brothers Ferny (keyboard) and Guillermo Belisario (bass) added to a now-indomitable live lineup, Magic City Hippies embarked on extensive tours supporting bands like Hippo Campus and Moon Taxi. Crowds doubled and tripled, confidence soared. Still unsigned and completely independent in their approach, Magic City Hippies pushed distractions aside and worked tirelessly towards their first LP.
“We’ve been touring for three years,” Hunter says. “The album has a lot to do with the toll it's taken on our relationships and lives.” No kidding: Robby was fired from a full-time job and ended a relationship of over eight years. Swirling single “SPF” comes to terms with a cheating partner through beams of Toro Y Moi-inspired Auto-Tune and bass licks. “What Would I Do” rides a catchy bossa hook towards the sonic equivalent of a Miami sunset. The sultry “Modern Animal” explores the liberation of open relationships through an irresistible Tame Impala rhythm and a safari of synthesizers. Clearly, inspirations abound -- Hunter occasionally raps a la Odelay-era Beck or Anthony Kedis when he’s addicted to the shindig -- but their self-described “indie funk” sound remains uniquely their own. “People always say it’s hard to find another band we sound like,” Howard says. “I’m proud of that -- any song could be a single.”
Modern Animal is set to crown Magic City Hippies as one of streaming’s ascendant indie bands, while taking their captivating live show to major festivals like Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo, and BottleRock, alongside plenty of North American headline gigs through 2020.
Register to Enter
Loading sign up instructions
Enter to Win a Pair of Tickets to see Magic City Hippies at the Fox Theatre, 2/6!
SWEEPSTAKES OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN THIS SWEEPSTAKES. A PURCHASE WILL NOT INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. ELIGIBILITY: This Sweepstakes is open only to legal residents of the contiguous United States and the District of Columbia, who are 18 years of age or older at the time of entry. You need not be present to win. Employees (and their immediate families or those living in the same household) of Denver Westword/Fox Theatre and their/its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, divisions, parent and related companies, suppliers, printers and advertising, promotional and judging agencies are not eligible to enter or win.
2. HOW TO ENTER: Sweepstakes begins at 12:01 a.m. EDT on December 30, 2019 and ends at 11:59 p.m. EDT on February 3, 2020. You may enter this Sweepstakes via either the in-store, on-line or mail-in entry methods described below. Regardless of entry method, you may enter only once. All entries must be received by 11:59 p.m. EDT of the last day of the Sweepstakes, i.e. February 3, 2020, whether submitted online, deposited at a participating location or mailed. Proof of depositing entry in mail is not considered proof of delivery or receipt. No photocopied or mechanically reproduced entries will be accepted. Illegible, incomplete and duplicate entries will be disqualified. Entries will not be accepted from post office boxes. All entries become the property of Sponsor(s) and will not be returned.
a. ON-LINE ENTRY METHOD: Beginning on December 30, 2019, you may enter the Sweepstakes via the Internet by logging on to the westword.com/freestuff and following the entry directions. You may be required to register or to otherwise provide some or all of the following information: your name, address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, age, e-mail address and the metropolitan service area for which you are entering. Online entrant must be the registered subscriber of the e-mail account by which the entry is made. In the event of a dispute as to entries submitted by multiple users having the same e-mail account, the authorized subscriber of the e-mail account (as specified by the Internet Service Provider) used to enter the Sweepstakes at the actual time of entry will be deemed to be the entrant. Entries made by any individual or any entity other than the named entrant and/or originating at any other Internet Website, including (but not limited to) commercial sweepstakes subscription notification and/or entering service sites are void.
b. MAIL-IN ENTRY METHOD: Alternatively, you may enter the Sweepstakes by hand-printing the words Enter to Win a Pair of Tickets to see Magic City Hippies at the Fox Theatre, 2/6! Sweepstakes, your name, age, address, city, state, zip code, telephone number, and e-mail address (if applicable) on a 3”x 5” card and mailing it in an envelope to Enter to Win a Pair of Tickets to see Magic City Hippies at the Fox Theatre, 2/6! The Prize includes: a Pair of Tickets to see Magic City Hippies at the Fox Theatre on 2/6. The approximate total retail value of the Prize is $17.50. The total value of all Prizes to be awarded is $35. All federal, state, and local tax liabilities are the sole responsibility of the Winner. No transfer, substitution, or cash equivalent for the Prize permitted, except by Sponsor(s) in its sole discretion. Winner may be required to complete and return an IRS W-9 form (i.e. Request for Taxpayer Identification Number and Certification).
4. RANDOM DRAWING: A total of (1) Prize Winner(s) will be selected in a random drawing from among all eligible entries, by judges selected by Sponsor(s), whose decisions are final and binding in all matters relating to this Sweepstakes. The Prize is guaranteed to be awarded. Only one Winner per household is permitted. The Winner will be notified by telephone, e-mail or mail service by February 3, 2020.
5. Prize conditions: No substitution for any prize will be permitted. If necessary due to unavailability of the Prize, a prize of equal or greater value will be awarded at the discretion of the Sponsor(s). Prize is not transferable, assignable or redeemable for cash. Winner will be required to execute and return an Affidavit of Eligibility and Publicity/Liability Release within fifteen (15) days of issuance. Failure to return all required documents in this time period may result in the Winner being disqualified and an alternate Winner selected. If a prize notification is returned to Sponsor(s) as undeliverable or if an entrant is found to be ineligible or declines acceptance of the Prize for any reason, an alternate Winner will be selected. By entering this Sweepstakes and/or accepting the Prize, Winner and entrant hereby consent (except where prohibited by law) to the reasonable use by Sponsor(s) of the Winners’ and entrants’ photograph, voice, likeness and/or image, hometown address, contents of the entry form and the name and age of the Winners and entrants without any further compensation for any future promotional activity related to this Sweepstakes.
6. ODDS OF WINNING: Odds of winning a Prize depend on the total number of eligible entries received for the Sweepstakes and are equal regardless of method of entry.
7. CONDUCT OF PARTICIPATION: By entering the Sweepstakes, entrant affirms that he or she has read and agrees to abide by the Official Sweepstakes Rules and the decisions of the judges. Sponsor(s) reserves the right to disqualify any entrant acting in violation of the Official Rules or found tampering with the entry process or with the operation of the Sweepstakes or the website. The Sweepstakes is governed by the laws of the United States and, by entering, all Winners and entrants hereby submit to the jurisdiction and venue of the federal, state and local courts located in [Denver, CO]. ANY ATTEMPT BY AN ENTRANT OR ANY OTHER INDIVIDUAL TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE ANY WEB SITE RELATED TO SPONSOR(S) OR THE SWEEPSTAKES OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE SWEEPSTAKES MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS, AND SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR(S) RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK DAMAGES FROM SUCH ENTRANT TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW.
8. LIMITATIONS OF LIABILITY: Sponsor(s) and each of their/its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, parent corporations, and their respective officers, directors, shareholders, employees and agents, are not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate entry information, theft, tampering, destruction, or unauthorized access to, or alteration of entries; printing or other errors; and any entries or mail which are late, lost, delayed, incomplete, misdirected, stolen, mutilated, illegible, postage due or any combination thereof. Sponsor(s) reserves the right to modify, suspend or terminate the Sweepstakes in the event that it becomes necessary due to circumstances beyond Sponsor(s)’ control. In the event the Sweepstakes is terminated early, a winner will be selected from all eligible entries received at the time of termination.
9. RELEASE OF LIABILITY: By participating, Winner and entrants agree to release, discharge, indemnify and hold harmless Sponsor(s) and each of their/its respective affiliates, subsidiaries, parent corporations, and their officers, directors, employees, representatives and agents from and against any claims made by the Winner, entrants or any other third parties related in any way to the operation of this Sweepstakes, as well as any other claims, damages or liability due to any injuries, damages or losses (whether alleged, threatened, or actual) to any person (including death) or property of any kind resulting in whole or in part, directly or indirectly, from acceptance, possession, misuse or use of any prize or participation in any Sweepstakes-related activity or participation in this Sweepstakes.
10. WINNERS LIST: For an Official Winners List (available after February 3, 2020) or a copy of these Official Rules, send a self-addressed, stamped envelope to Enter to Win a Pair of Tickets to see Magic City Hippies at the Fox Theatre, 2/6! Sweepstakes - WINNERS - or - OFFICIAL RULES (please specify), c/o Marketing Department, Denver Westword. All requests must be received by February 3, 2020. Official Rules also available at www.westword.com/promotions/freestuff.
12. SPONSOR(S): Denver Westword/Fox Theatre
THIS SWEEPSTAKES IS VOID WHERE PROHIBITED OR RESTRICTED BY LAW.
2018 [Denver Westword] All rights reserved.Close