Big Hoss Bar-B-Q , at 3961 Tennyson Street, has been hot since it first opened back in December 2006, and earned raves from Jason Sheehan a year later. But this is ridiculous:
After a cook left the smoker open on Saturday, the Big Hoss kitchen caught fire -- and the restaurant had to shut down this weekend.There was no damage to the dining room, though, and owner Hoss Orwat promises to open back up by July 6.
Q Worldly Barbecue at 2817 East Third Avenue, which recently got its own rave from Sheehan, experienced another unnatural disaster: A sprinkler malfunctioned on Thursday, flooding the restaurant. It's currently closed for repairs, but hopes to reopen by July 3.
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.