Talk about a freak accident: This morning at Rock Bottom Brewery on the 16th Street Mall, a flash fire broke out, which shut down two blocks of Curtis Street. The cause? A dropped keg.
Last night, employees mopped up some chlorine dioxide after it spilled on the floor. This morning, another employee dropped a keg in the same vicinity, which caused a spark that ignited the residue from the chemical spill and created a flash fire.
Luckily, no one was injured, but the incident brought in the fire department and the hazmat team to deal with the fallout, shutting down Curtis Street between 15th and 17th streets. The fire is out, but cleanup is still under way.
An employee at the restaurant says it's still to be determined whether Rock Bottom will open for business today, adding that the restaurant is making no comment until after the cleanup is finished.
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.