The Great American Beer Festival begins a week from today. If you want to be ready (and believe me, we are soooo ready), you'll need to check in here every afternoon for some lowdown, some insight and some tips on how to do it right.
Last year, I dissed on breweries located to the right of our square state, claiming that "there's really no reason to venture any further east." I was soundly admonished. So this year, I'll focus on finding those reasons, starting with ten breweries located east of Colorado whose beer we're willing to stand in line to try.
The beers from these breweries are either hard to find or nonexistent in Colorado, but we've heard so much about them that our one-ounce glasses are already ready.
1) Bell's Brewery, Kalamazoo, Michigan
2) Cambridge Brewing Company, Cambridge, Massachusets
3) Goose Island Beer Company, Chicago, Illinois
4) Great Lakes Brewing Company, Cleveland, Ohio
5) Jolly Pumpkin Artisan Ales, Dexter, Michigan
6) Magic Hat Brewing Company, Burlington, Vermont
7) New Glarus Brewing Company, New Glarus, Wisconsin
8) Nodding Head Brewery, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
9) Surly Brewing Company, Brooklyn Center, Minnesota
10) Three Floyds Brewing Company, Munster, Indiana
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.