Pho is the most recognizable example of the Vietnamese canon, a street food lifted whole from the avenues of Saigon and Bien Hoa and brought to the United States by waves of immigrants who came here following the war and the reconstruction.
Many of those immigrants washed up in Denver, which is why this town has dozens upon dozens of great pho spots. My favorites, in no particular order:
1. Pho 95, 1002 South Federal Boulevard
2. Pho Duy, 945 South Federal Boulevard
3. Pho Van Noodle Souper, 472 South Federal Boulevard
4. Saigon Bowl, 333 South Federal Boulevard
5. Pho-Yo, 2719 South Parker Road
6. Pho Fusion, 8800 East Hampden Avenue
7. Pho Saigon, 8101 South Quebec Street
8. Pho 79 III, 1080 South Havana Street
9. Pho 79 I, 781 South Federal Boulevard
10. Saigon Pho Grill , 7243 Federal Boulevard
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.