Best Sites for Background Checks Online: How to Perform a Free Public Records Search
With the advent of the internet age, conducting a background check on a neighbor or learning about the history of a neighborhood has never been easier, thanks to online background check sites and services.
It can also be used for a variety of things, including tenant or roommate verification, address lookups, phone number lookups, people searches, and so on. You can also use these to find out everything there is to know about yourself on the internet.
A background check can assist families in finding long-lost ancestors, finding old college friends, and even determining whether or not the people in their lives can be trusted.
Also, finding the Best Background Check Service is not as simple as people think, especially with so many options. As a result, the top options on the market have been thoroughly examined in this article.
Best Background Check Sites With Trials
1. TruthFinder - Best For Criminal Records & Editor’s Pick
2. Instant Checkmate - Best for Social Media Checks
3. Intelius - Best for Professional Checks
When you quickly search on Google, you will find that hundreds of different sites provide numerous forms of background checks. It is hard to find out which ones would give you the details you need.
We'll go over what you need to know about background checks in this article. With no further ado, let's get started.
#1. TruthFinder - Best Paid For Criminal Checks
TruthFinder is one of the most reputable background check providers in the United States. Thousands of Americans have been helped to reconnect with family and friends, thanks to them. In a nutshell, it is a background check service that allows you to do searches on anyone.
It provides reliable data, has a user-friendly layout, and clear instructions for using context reports. It searches the Deep Web for knowledge that traditional search engines cannot locate.
It has given the correct phone number and email address frequently without listing obsolete, outdated, or misleading details, based solely on a first or last name.
One of the most noteworthy features of this is that it delivers details simply by entering a person's name, and a comprehensive report is retrieved. They also have an app that is available on mobile and is absolutely free. It is chosen as the top most online background check site on the market.
• Apps for mobile devices
• It’s the best background check service for the money
• There are many search terms to choose from
• Clear examples of how to use information
• More details than the reports of competitors
• There is no option to buy individual reports
Does TruthFinder Offer a Free Trial?
Unfortunately, Truthfinder does not offer a trial. The service it offers is premium compared to many other brands on this list, and will require a payment to get started.
How much does it cost?
• One-Month Membership - A membership with TruthFinder costs about $28 per month, which includes reverse phone lookup and background check report
• Two-Month Membership - The cost of a three-month subscription is less than $26.00 per month
• Scan and Monitoring of the Dark Web
The function searches thousands of data points to detect stolen information on the Dark Web to shield users from identity fraud. TruthFinder does so in collaboration with Experian, a consumer service firm.
• Search for Criminal Records
The online tool is intended to provide real-time crime reports to the United States from the FBI and other law enforcement departments.
• User-Friendly Interface
The company's background checks are simple to comprehend. TruthFinder is also available as a mobile app. Anyone who is not in front of a computer can easily access the details.
Customer service is excellent here, with many positive reviews. You have to call them to cancel.
#2. Instant Checkmate - Best for Social Media Checks
Customers come first at Instant Checkmate. Their mission is to provide the most useful, detailed, and important information on everyone and anything. They're always listening to your feedback and working hard every day to improve everything.
You can use the service to locate long-lost friends, reconnect with family members, confirm online dates, learn more about a neighborhood, and even track down unknown callers, among other things.
When you use Instant Checkmate, you get access to precise, high-quality data gathered from reliable sources. It uses a smartphone app that is available to provide information about unknown callers.
• The data in the reports is correct and up to date
• This is an excellent mobile app
• With only one quest, you can access a vast amount of public data
• You must pay to read reports
• Phone numbers can be contradictory
Does Instant Checkmate Offer a Free Trial?
No, Instant Checkmate does not offer a free trial. You can get started, however, for just $1, and you will have 5 Days to use their service.
How much does it cost?
• 5-Day Membership - You can get started with just $1 for 5 Days
• One-Month Membership - One-month membership costs $34.78
• Three-Month Membership - Three-month membership comes at $27.82 per month
• Six-Month Membership - It costs around $9.86 per month
• Premium Report - One report costs $19.99
• PDF Fee - One-time fee is $1.99
• Reverse phone lookup - $4.99
• Indefinite Background Reports
As a member, you have unrestricted access to reports that show detailed information about a person's history. You have the option of pulling as many reports as you want.
• Location Search
If you're moving somewhere new or want to learn more about your neighborhood, this feature can come in handy.
• Mobile App
The free Instant Checkmate app for Android users provides fast and reliable history searches on the go.
• Reverse Phone Lookup
Instant Checkmate's phone search feature makes it simple to learn more about the owner of almost any phone number. Pull a history report from any phone lookup if you want to take your search even further.
Instant Checkmate has received positive customer service feedback. The customer service representative is very supportive, accommodating. And you can cancel any membership package at any time.
#3. Intelius - Best for Professional Use
Intelius is a Seattle-based information service provider that allows you to search for people by name, address, phone number, and other criteria. It has also created a mobile app.
It generates historical reports from publicly available records and data on the internet. The service will look for the searched person's details, phone numbers, address history, and criminal records while performing a background check.
The Better Business Bureau has given Intelius an A+ rating, and it is widely recognized as a legitimate and accredited organization. Intelius also has Email Search and Social Network Search options. Since it is not a consumer reporting program, it does not provide information to customers.
• Reports are thorough
• An interface that is easy to use
• Good customer service
• Advertising is perplexing
Does Intelius Offer a Free Trial?
No, Intelius does not offer a free trial. You can get started for just $1.99, and will have 7 days to try their service.
How much does it cost?
• Intelius Premier - The first month of this package is $9.95, and each subsequent month is $19.95
• Intelius Premier Plus - With a monthly subscription of $29.95, the Intelius Premier Plus is a little on the pricey side
• Single Report - Users may use Single Report to perform single searches, such as Intelius reverse phone lookup. Add-ons such as phone and address scans, as well as national criminal and federal checks, are available for an extra $7.95 and $19.95, respectively. A simple customer report will set you back $39.95
• Background Check
An Intelius background check combs the database of public records to return an in-depth, complete background check containing a person's legal and personal history, similar to a people search but far more comprehensive.
• People Search
Intelius' claim to fame and most popular service is people's search: a powerful search tool for collecting comprehensive information about everyone in the United States.
• Criminal Records
It may provide criminal records for a specific state or the entire country. Its quest will reveal any criminal offenses.
• Reverse Address Lookup
It will provide you with details such as the property's address, value, contact information, and any previous or current tenants.
Customer service representatives are nice, and you can cancel your membership at any time by calling their customer service number or canceling it online. Intelius has a dedicated customer service phone line available Monday through Friday, 7 a.m. to 5 p.m. PST, as well as an email address where consumers can submit their questions and complaints.
#4. US Search - Best For Email Checks
US Search is a background check service that contains, among other items, contact details, personal addresses, and criminal records. It's a simple but effective people search and background check tool.
The key advantage of using this service is that you can merge several documents into a single report. You can look up people using their name, phone number, address, or email address, and US Search will provide you with a long list of results to help you find the person you're looking for.
You will be able to see the list so that you can choose the correct person; however, if you want to see the whole report for one person, you will have to pay.
• The reports contain a lot of information
• Service that is reasonably priced
• For reliable online background checks, it consults billions of sources
• Since it isn't FCRA-accredited, it can't be used to test prospective workers or tenants
• No app for mobile
How much does it cost?
• Basic People Search - $2.45
• Monthly Subscription (unlimited Basic searches) - $20.00/mo
• 1-State Criminal Record Search - $15.00
• Background Check - $40.00
• Innovative Technology
One of the first online companies to compile information about an individual and make it available as a report was US Search. It also goes above and above several other providers by automating searches.
• Wide Search Options
With seven different types of searches, US Search is the background check website with the most options. This provides a tremendous amount of versatility when conducting a quest.
They also have any known phone numbers, email addresses, and social media accounts so you can contact the person you're looking for. This makes US Search especially useful for reuniting with a long-lost relative or old friend.
Customer service is not up to par, according to the majority of customers.
They have a one-star ranking overall.
#5. PeopleFinders - Best Choice For Basic Checks
PeopleFinders is a DaaS (Data-as-a-service) company based in Sacramento, California, that was founded in 1998. It will assist you in performing different online background checks using only a name, phone number, or address. It's a straightforward online tool for accessing public information to learn more about someone.
This is significant since many similar search tools erect a paywall before even letting you know if your question has any results. It includes reports that are both insightful and simple to comprehend.
• Offers a three-day trial for a low price
• A website that is easy to navigate
• Multiple search parameters are possible
• Help you get facts from public records of 43 billion
• Nominal Charge for canceling a subscription
• Social networking profiles aren't included
How much does it cost?
• PeopleFinders Membership - The standard monthly membership fee is $24.95, which is standard in the background check industry
• PeopleFinders Premium Membership - The Premium Membership, which allows you to run background checks access public records, costs $29.95
• Single Report - $1.95 for a one-time people search study, whereas the cost of a single reverse phone lookup is $3.95. It also provides a single background check report, which costs $39.95
• Reverse Phone Lookup
If you've been the victim of harassing phone calls, you can look up the number and it can provide you with all relevant details.
• Trial Version
PeopleFinders provides a $0.95 three-day trial edition for those who are unsure whether to use the platform. You can use the people search and reverse phone lookup features in this edition.
PeopleFinders protects your account details and searches with regular SSL encryption. When you use this tool to look for somebody, the person you're looking for has no way of knowing you pulled a report.
Customer service is fast, courteous, and competent. It also has a 4.7 ranking on Trustpilot. You can cancel your PeopleFinders membership by going online, emailing, or calling.
#6. PeopleLooker - Best Value
It's an online data aggregator that allows you to get a detailed report on everyone you want. For those who aren't tech-savvy, think of it as Google for public information.
PeopleLooker is not only powerful, and fast, but it is also dependable. Contact details, family, known addresses, photographs, age, and much more are all included in the reports.
Although the quality of your results is dependent on the data available online, PeopleLooker keeps track of all your searches to ensure you always have the most up-to-date information. It is fast and accurate in its performance.
• Transparency of their background checks is something they strive for
• There are no restrictions on how many times you can search
• The interface is easy to use
• Reverse lookup services for land, email, and phone numbers are available
• Pay extra for additional information
• On weekends, customer service is minimal
• It isn't compliant with the FCRA
How much does it cost?
• Monthly - Per month, you'll be charged $18.28. You get many benefits with this package, including unlimited reports, property scans, sex offender searches, criminal records, and email and phone lookups
• Three-Month Plan - The cost of the package is $14.62 a month. It's worth noting that you'll be paying a one-time fee for the three months
• Remove Information
PeopleLooker can help you in removing false information and can start fresh. You simply fill out an "opt-out" form requesting that the false information be removed.
• Court Runners
Court runners are the people who will go to court on your behalf to get you the most up-to-date and reliable details.
State, county, and federal court records are all open. The platform is accessible from any city or state in the United States. This feature comes at an additional cost.
All seem to agree that PeopleLooker has a well-designed website that is easy to navigate and use. The navigation has been designed with a new traveler in mind. It makes it easier for them to navigate across the various parts and navigations.
• Powerful Search Engine
Simply type in your subject's name and surname (along with a state, if desired) and hit scan. The search engine will sift through billions of records and generate a report that includes all relevant data found.
While PeopleLooker is dedicated to customer satisfaction, its execution does not always seem to fit its intentions.
#7. BeenVerified - Best for Beginners
BeenVerified has evolved to become one of the most popular history search websites on the internet by expanding its feature set and the informational database at its disposal. Besides its well-known people search, it has a lot of useful features that cater to specific needs.
BeenVerified will use the information you entered to search its database and provide you with detailed information about the individual. The data is arranged logically that you can access from any device. The tool eliminates the need for users to manually search government offices for information.
• The results of a people search are detailed and systematic reports
• A broad range of benefits is available to members
• Straightforward model of pricing
• For a background search firm, it's fairly straightforward
• Customer service that is attentive
• Long wait times for search results occasionally
• The accuracy of search results is not always guaranteed
• There is no free trial available
How much does it cost?
• One-Month Membership - One-Month cost is $22.86
• Three-Month Membership - As opposed to paying the 1-month membership fee for 3 months, buying a 3-month membership for $14.86 (per month) saves 35%. All memberships have the same features
• Reverse Email Lookup
Reverse email lookups from BeenVerified reveal details about an unknown email address, allowing you to determine if the sender is legitimate or a scammer.
• Search For Username
The username search feature allows you to look up a specific username associated with a social media site or message board to learn more about the individual or organization behind the account.
• VIN Number Lookup
This tool helps you look up a vehicle's VIN number to learn more details about that vehicle's past.
• History Saved
If you want to save your previous searches for future use, it is the tool for you.
• Accessibility on Multiple Devices
Been Checked works with almost any gadget you own. The desktop edition is easier to use by most users.
Customer service is excellent; it is prompt and helpful. The support desk is open seven days a week from 6:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. EST. The cancellation process is easy, and you can cancel by phone or email.
#8. GoodHire - Easy To Use
• A wide variety of database searches are available
• Most HR software is compatible with it
• Easy to use
• Customer service is excellent
• Not linguistically diverse
• More costly than the competition
GoodHire is one of the most competent business background search providers on the market. This website will be used to carefully check new employees' credit histories for red flags, as well as past criminal and civil penalties.
The ease with which this network's background check process can be completed is one of its best features. Customers say GoodHire's background checks are 72 percent better than other services they've used before. It gives you a comprehensive list of database search options.
One of the reasons why GoodHire is such a great choice for small business owners is its pricing flexibility.
How much does it cost?
• Basic Plan - A Social Security number trace, a national criminal database search, and a Sex Offender Registry search are all included in the Basic package, which costs $29.99 per search
• Standard Plan - The Standard package adds a search of county court records for up to three counties and a review of the US domestic watch list for $54.99 per search
• Premium Plan - The cost of a Premium search is $79.99, and it requires verification of the subject's education and work background. There is a one-time setup fee of $49.99 for both the standard and premium plan
Both initiating a background check and evaluating the findings are incredibly simple with GoodHire. When you build an account with GoodHire, the company is checked to guarantee that you are a legal employer.
GoodHire is more concerned with legal enforcement than with security. The site complies with the FCRA and, where applicable, lets businesses comply with ban-the-box rules.
One of the best aspects of this platform is how straightforward the background check process is. The background check request should be sent by the applicant being screened (after the company has paid for it) to ensure that they are aware of the procedure and that all legal criteria are met. Even if candidates do not request it, it sends a copy of their study to them automatically.
Customer service is good and concise. Customers adore the look and feel of their website.
#9. RentPrep - Best for Criminal History
• Instead of a software firm, highly qualified screeners are used; this results in greater accuracy
• Customer support can be reached by phone, chat, or email
• They recruit, train, and employ FCRA-certified screeners in addition to being FCRA-compliant
• Reports cannot be delivered immediately
RentPrep has built a company that invests in its employees' screening skills so that they can perform manual screening using technology.
For landlords and beginners, it is the best background check program.
Look no further if you're looking for applications that can check your credit, criminal, and rental records.
RentPrep reports are sent in around an hour during normal business hours. While SmartMove reports are available in minutes, the clock does not start ticking until the applicant confirms their identity.
This organization is associated with the NAA, NAPBS, NCRA, and TransUnion Credit Agency. They have a business strategy that includes access to a dedicated customer representative.
Each enterprise package customer receives a unique application that is tailored to their specific requirements.
How much does it cost?
• RentPrep Background Check – It cost $18.95 which includes eviction records, notices of bankruptcies or tax liens, address history, and authentication of SSN
• SmartMove – It cost $38 which has a rental background check, a full credit report, a resident score
• FCRA Certified Agents
It stands out because it uses FCRA-certified agents to help analyze background checks in real-time at no extra charge.
• Affiliated with prestigious companies
It is affiliated with a number of prestigious organizations, giving it the reputation of a respectable company with several credit connections.
• Accurate Information
You can trust RentPrep to easily complete the tests and provide you with accurate details about your candidates.
On its Facebook page, RentPrep has a 4.9-star rating based on 60 ratings. It offers several customer service options, including live chat, email, and phone support. They will clarify how the screening process works and how it can assess potential tenants. If you're a first-time landlord or a seasoned property manager, they can make you feel at ease and secure.
#10. PeopleSmart - Best Customer Service
• A site that is easy to navigate.
• All search results are presented in a logical order.
• Data confidence levels are used to score and rank information.
• Users can save searches and come back to them at any time.
• Multiple documents will most likely be returned, making it difficult to sort through them.
• No criminal history or criminal court records will be returned by this site.
People smart is a cutting-edge search engine program that enables various business professionals and individuals to locate reliable official information of a variety of industrial and private associates.
You have a few options for conducting your searches. You may use an email address, phone number, social media account, or name, for example. The convenience and variety of choices were appealing to us.
To get a full report on a person's personal history, all you need is the person's first and last name. That’s why it is regarded as one of the best full-service background check agencies, despite the website's overly simplistic nature.
The firm is open and honest, about what it can and cannot do.
How much does it cost?
• Trial Offer - Users can sign up for a 7-day trial for just $1
• Monthly Subscription - After the 7-day trial period, you will be charged $29.99 a month plus additional sales tax
Up to ten reports can be observed with a subscription. If any tracked record is modified or altered, the user will receive an email notification. To use the function, simply click the “Turn Monitoring On” button to begin receiving notifications.
• Knowledge about your account
Account information is easily accessible on the user's dashboard. It gives you access to your member ID, email, order history, and the ability to update your personal information.
• Reverse Email Lookup
It allows you to search through all of your suspicious and spam addresses. The fact that PeopleSmart includes the email owner's name, as well as all of their social media in this report, makes it one of the best background check companies for individuals.
Users of PeopleSmart have access to help 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Customers may contact customer service by phone or via a contact form.
In Conclusion - Which Background Check Site Should You Prefer?
Background checks are a common practice in the hiring process. As a company owner, this is something you should consider. Each of the ten services I've mentioned suits a specific organizational need and is among the best free background check sites available.
Use TruthFinder or Instant Checkmate for the most accurate data. All that is needed is that they are used securely and legally. Their efforts may be expensive, but the result would ensure that customers have access to the information they need.
Paid advertisement. Westword does not sell, evaluate, or endorse products or services advertised.
For inquiries, click here.