Is it that time of year already? Yep. Afraid so. Only 58 days until Christmas, which means that KTCL's annual Hometown for the Holidays promotion is just around the corner. The station has officially begun accepting submissions to see which three bands get to perform at Channel 93.3's Hometown for the Holidays show, along with other fabuloso prizes, which this year include a photo shoot from Don Searle Photography, a new pair of Airwalks for each of the players, and $3,000 worth of studio time at the Blasting Room. Page down for submission instructions.
HOMETOWN '11 BAND ENTRY INSTRUCTIONS:
So you've decided to submit a song for Channel 93.3's Hometown for the Holidays...excellent! However, before you submit your song, please take a moment to read the guidelines below.
• Remember - we're looking for songs to be played on the air on Channel 93.3. So it should be a high-quality studio recording, and it should be a genre that we might play here on Channel 93.3.
• Only ONE song submission per band. If we receive more than one song from a band, we will delete them ALL. Make sure your band has agreed on which song to submit, and who is going to submit it.
• Please make sure the song is in mp3 format. No wav files, no ogg files, no m4as. MP3 only.
• Make sure the song is ready for airplay. No FCC-unfriendly language, please. If there's a lyric you're not sure is OK for airplay, e-mail Alf (email@example.com) and let him know what the lyric is. He'll let you know.
• Make sure you send us the full track. We've had bands send us 30-second snippets. Don't be one of these bands.
• Please use this format to name your mp3: Band Name - Song Title So if your band is Great Colorado Band, and your song is entitled "Best Song in the World", rename the mp3 Great Colorado Band - Best Song in the World.
• Make sure you have a valid e-mail address where we can contact you. Include a contact name and phone number.
• Any other questions before submitting? Contact Alf and let him know.
OK, you've got your song picked out. You've converted it to mp3, and you've named it correctly. Now all you have to do is submit it! Go to yousendit.com, and submit the song to firstname.lastname@example.org. Don't forget your contact information! Once you submit your song, look for an e-mail from us in the next couple of days confirming your submission. We'll be listening to all the submissions, and on or around 12/1/11 we'll send you another e-mail to let you know if you made the cut for our Top Ten. The deadline for submissions is Friday, November 25th. Best of luck to you, and thanks for taking part in Channel 93.3's Hometown for the Holidays '11!
Speaking of Alf, the Locals Only host urges bands to pay especially close attention to the bit about naming and formatting the track before submitting: "Every year," he points out, "we get submissions entitled 'Track 01' or 'Final Mix.' Let's see if we can have ZERO of those this year."
Follow Backbeat on Twitter: @westword_music
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.