If you were wondering why the holy hell so many people are camping out for tomorrow's grand opening of IKEA Centennial, there's a simple answer: bribery of a pleasantly Swedish sort. Here are the details about giveaways over the first few days courtesy of the Colorado IKEA Fans blogspot.
Wednesday, July 27, 2011
• Rest Assured -- The first 38 adults (18 and older) in line at the IKEA Centennial grand opening on July 27, 2011 will receive a free EKTORP three-seat sofa.
• Take a Seat (And We Mean Take It!) -- The next 100 adults (18 and older) in line at the IKEA Centennial grand opening on July 27, 2011 will receive a free POÄNG armchair.
• For the (Truly) Young at Heart -- The first 100 children (younger than 18) in line at IKEA Centennial's grand opening on July 27, 2011 will receive a free FAMNIG heart-shaped soft toy.
• Pick a Card, Any Card -- The first 2,500 adults (18 and older) to visit IKEA Centennial on July 27, 2011 will receive a random prize envelope with IKEA Gift Cards ranging from $10 to $250, or a "Buy One, Get One Free" cinnamon bun, hotdog or frozen yogurt voucher.
• Mile High Birthday -- Visitors who bring proof to IKEA Centennial on July 27, 2011 that their birthday is that day - the same as the store's - will receive a gift card in the amount of $52.80, the elevation of the Denver-area.
• Enter our Home, Enter to Win -- From July 27 through July 31, 2011, visitors to IKEA Centennial may enter a drawing to win one of ten $1,000 IKEA Gift Cards. IKEA will match the prizes (a total of $10,000 per organization) with a donation to Family Tree House of Hope, an agency helping families and youths of Metro Denver overcome child abuse, domestic violence and homelessness, and Mi Casa Resource Center, an organization providing a variety of services focused on helping low-income families achieve economic success.
Thursday, July 28, 2011
• Sleep Like Royalty -- The first 38 adults (18 and older) in IKEA Centennial on Thursday, July 28, 2011 will receive a free queen-sized SULTAN HALLEN mattress.
• Take it Easy -- The next 100 adults (18 and older) in IKEA Centennial on Thursday, July 28, 2011 will receive free home delivery for their purchases on that day.
Friday, July 29, 2011
• Swedish Food Shopping Spree -- The first 38 adults (18 or older) in IKEA Centennial will receive an IKEA Food canvas bag and coupon to fill the bag up with whatever they want from IKEA Centennial's Swedish Foodmarket.
• Early Birds Eat Free -- IKEA Centennial will offer a free breakfast for all customers prior to 11:00 AM on Friday, July 29, 2011.
• Children's Choice -- Kids under 12 can eat for free at IKEA Centennial, on Friday, July 29, 2011.
Sunday, July 31, 2011
• Elevation Celebration -- In honor of Colorado Day on August 1, the first 135 (the number of years Colorado has been a state) adults (18 and older) in IKEA Centennial on Sunday, July 31, 2011 will receive a baby blue spruce (the state tree).
One more thing: If you plan to grapple with the home-furnishings madness tomorrow, follow instructions. "Please park only where IKEA Centennial directs you," warns the fan blogspot. "If you park anywhere else near IKEA Centennial, and don't have one of these hanging on your rear view mirror...
"...you will be towed. These are placards given to the employees of surrounding office buildings."
Who'll likely be waving their fists and cursing until this whole grand opening craziness dies down.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Westword's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Denver's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
More from our News archive: "IKEA Centennial: Fear and loathing and meatballs at the megastore's press preview."