The windows are boarded up at 1789 Ogden Street, and a cleanup crew was removing furnishings and equipment from Wok Uptown today. A note on the window indicates that the popular Chinese spot is closed because of a fire, with no time frame yet for reopening.
The Xiao family has operated Wok Uptown for the past nine years and made it a favorite for takeout and delivery in the Uptown neighborhood. According to Jesse Xiao, daughter of the owners, an accidental fire destroyed the kitchen. "We are trying to restore the restaurant if possible," she says. "We want to thank all of our loyal customers for their support during this hard time."
The restaurant's Facebook page (where you can leave a note of encouragement) indicates that the fire took place about three weeks ago.
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.