Some very hot sauce has a Cleveland Steak 'n Shake in hot water.
Tim and Mary Katherine Gann were at the restaurant with their son, who was eating chili -- and encouraged by a server to add some hot sauce. Blair's Mega Death Sauce, to be specific, a sauce not offered on the restaurant's menu. The kid accepted the challenge, and within minutes was having a serious reaction: He broke out in hives, complained of severe pain and was having difficulty breathing.
According to www.sweatnspice.com, this hot sauce is 500 times hotter than your average jalapeno and is not to be used without dilution.
The parents have filed suit against the restaurant and the anonymous server, who no longer works there.
According to the suit, the boy's "capacity and ability to perform work and to enjoy everyday pleasures and associations of life have been permanently damaged, restricted and impaired." And he's not likely to ever again listen to a server's suggestion.
The Ganns are seeking $10,000 in compensatory damages and $50,000 in punitive damages.
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.