It could be the asbestos of our generation: "Popcorn Lung" now has a website dedicated to victims of this dreaded "disease" (in truth, it's a law firm's site encouraging potential litigation) -- and the phenomenon began in our own back yard.
Although the medical condition known as bronchiolitis obliterans was first identified among factory workers who made the popcorn, Centennial's Wayne Watson was the first consumer to complain. He filed suit against a microwave popcorn manufacturer two years ago, , claiming that he'd suffered some pretty gnarly health problems after huffing the fumes of the two bags of butter-flavor-laden popcorn he consumed a day.
The culprit? A nasty little chemical called diacetyl.
Back in 2006, the FDA had deemed the chemical safe as a flavoring in small amounts -- 5mg a day (the FDA did not translate that into bags of popcorn. But even so, popcorn manufacturers are now voluntarily removing the chemical from the process. And according to documents filed this week, Wayne has settled his case with the company responsible for distributing the store-brand version of the sinister late-night snack.
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.