Oskar Blues Liquids and Solids evacuated after employees sickened; restaurant remains closed

Employees of Oskar Blues Liquids and Solids in Longmont were forced to evacuate the restaurant just after noon yesterday after experiencing respiratory problems and nausea. According to Longmont Police Department spokesman Jeff Satur, seventeen employees were taken to area hospitals -- eight to Longmont United Hospital and nine with less serious symptoms to the Exempla Good Samaritan Medical Center in Lafayette -- for exposure to what was at first thought to be a refrigerant leak.

See also: The secret's out on Le Jardin Secret, a farmers' market coming to Larimer Square

After further investigation, Satur says, officials determined the problem might have been caused by an overworked water heater, incomplete gas combustion and a resulting buildup of fumes that are normally vented away from the building.

The workers who were hospitalized were released the same day after their symptoms diminished. Another seven employees who were exposed recovered quickly after exiting the building and being treated by responders from the Longmont Fire Department and Longmont HAZMAT team. No customers were affected.

Oskar Blues remains closed today, but will reopen once the issue is corrected, an employee says. An exact date is not yet available.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


All-access pass to the top stories, events and offers around town.

  • Top Stories


All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >