Tilden School Becomes Denver's 56th Landmark District

Tilden School Becomes Denver's 56th Landmark District

Better late than never: The Tilden School campus, including three buildings overlooking Highland Park and Federal Boulevard that date back more than a century, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 7, 1995. On December 16, 2019, Denver City Council declared the entire complex a Denver landmark district.

Dr. John Henry Tilden, an early practitioner of holistic medicine, founded the Tilden School in 1916 to advance his theories on health, diet and medical treatments that avoided drugs and surgery. The Tilden School was among the many sanatoriums and health facilities emerging in Denver during this era, as doctors from across the country recognized the benefits of Colorado’s climate and altitude. The Bosler House, a Victorian mansion that had already stood for close to thirty years, became the school headquarters, flanked by the primary facility next door at 3249 West Fairview Place and an apartment building for patients on the other side at 3279 Grove Street.

“These buildings tell a story about Denver and the people who came to our city seeking good health,” says Laura Aldrete, executive director of Community Planning and Development, in announcing the landmark approval. “By preserving them, we are not only protecting their architectural significance, but also keeping these interesting stories alive.”

The Tilden School for Teaching Health Historic District is the second landmark district approved by Denver City Council this year and Denver’s 56th overall. The Bosler House itself had been listed in 1984, but became so dilapidated under its last owner that it was in danger of disappearing; new owners took over in 2016 and restored the structure.


Better late than never: The Tilden School campus, including three buildings overlooking Highland Park and Federal Boulevard that date back more than a century, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on September 7, 1995. On December 16, 2019, Denver City Council declared the entire complex a Denver landmark district.

Dr. John Henry Tilden, an early practitioner of holistic medicine, founded the Tilden School in 1916 to advance his theories on health, diet and medical treatments that avoided drugs and surgery. The Tilden School was among the many sanatoriums and health facilities emerging in Denver during this era, as doctors from across the country recognized the benefits of Colorado’s climate and altitude. The Bosler House, a Victorian mansion that had already stood for close to thirty years, became the school headquarters, flanked by the primary facility next door at 3249 West Fairview Place and an apartment building for patients on the other side at 3279 Grove Street.

“These buildings tell a story about Denver and the people who came to our city seeking good health,” says Laura Aldrete, executive director of Community Planning and Development, in announcing the landmark approval. “By preserving them, we are not only protecting their architectural significance, but also keeping these interesting stories alive.”

The Tilden School for Teaching Health Historic District is the second landmark district approved by Denver City Council this year and Denver’s 56th overall. The Bosler House itself had been listed in 1984, but became so dilapidated under its last owner that it was in danger of disappearing; new owners took over in 2016 and restored the structure.
X

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.

 

Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.