Ten great punk songs about going vegetarian
Activism and punk rock aren't always bedfellows -- it used to be nihilism and punk rock -- but in the case of animal rights, the two are like vegetarian burritos and cheap beer, truly wonderful and best enjoyed in the company of friends. Today is World Vegetarian Day, so if you need a little motivation to go meatless all day long, these songs may not just help you get through the day without a burger, but cause you to change your ways for good, as they've done for so many others.
10. "Chicken Squawk" by MDC "I don't eat roast beef or fish "Porky Pig is not my dish "Just go ahead and let your chickens be."
9. "Anarcho Pie!" by Oi Polloi "Let's make a tasty anarcho-pie "Ace vegan food for you and I"
8. "Vegan Revolution Draft Dodger Anthem" by Good Clean Fun "I think fur is a crime, I protest all the time "You should see all my bumper stickers "That 'Firestorm' song sure gets me singing along "My righteousness never flickers"
7. "Death Camps" by the Cro-Mags "Execution without a trial "Think about that for a while "The day they're doomed they're doomed to be killed "So your foul desires can be fulfilled."
6. "Civilized Man" by Shelter "There's a war in the day no peace at night "There's blood on the hands of man yet we don't sympathize "The meateater kills the cows they just depersonalize to justify "Their own lust as the helpless die "And it's ironic how we cry for world peace."
5. "Nailing Descartes To The Wall" by Propagandhi "...But you cannot deny that meat is still murder. "Dairy is still rape. "And I'm still as stupid as anyone, but I know my mistakes. "I have recognized one form of oppression, now I recognize the rest. "And life's too short to make another's shorter. (animal liberation now!)"
4. "Open Your Eyes" by Goldfinger "Open your eyes "To the millions of lies "That they tell you everyday "Open your mind "To the clever disguise "That the advertisements say"
3. "No More" by Youth of Today "Our numbers are doubling in '88 "'Cause the people are starting to educate "Themselves their friends and their families "And we'll have a more conscious society."
2. "Unjustified Murder" by Dropdead "Vivisection, It's scientific fraud "Exploitation, gone on too long "Unjustified murder, it's systematic slaughter "Liberation, a means to an end."
1. "Cats and Dogs" by Gorilla Biscuits "Under the table he'll eat your dinner like the veggies we can't stand. "What kind of meal would he make? "We don't want to ask it. "Tradition is all that keeps him alive. "Listen up, I gotta ask how can we be so cruel? "You say you care, that's a lie. "My true compassion is for all living things "And not just the ones who are cute "So I do what I can, I wanna save lives and I've got a plan."
Non-punk gems: "Chicken Cordon Blues" by Steve Goodman "Meat is Murder" by The Smiths
Get the Music Newsletter
Keep your thumb on the local music scene each week with music news, trends, artist interviews and concert listings. We'll also send you special ticket offers and music deals.