People are hilarious, and can be incredibly stupid. Thanks to the internetz, we now can watch this hilarity and stupidity unfold in myriad ways throughout the year. We've got rappers of all shapes and sizes, people getting hurt and basically being the complete morons we've come to expect from our fellow humans. But, of course, some Internet phenomena are better than others, so we've compiled a list of the top twenty viral videos of 2010, in order to reflect on all that we humans have accomplished this passed year.
20. Best Witness Statement Ever -- Eccentric Lady This list both starts and ends with a witness interview. That's not weird at all, right? This is not a coincidence. People just interviewed after a traumatic event are almost always frantic and out of their minds. Though this woman is more out of her mind than anything, she tells a great story and acts it out well too.
19. Jump FAIL There's nothing like watching a fellow human getting owned by an inanimate object. Not because we enjoy other people's pain, but because we can imagine it happening to us and we're so relieved it didn't. That, and people are stupid.
18. Jessi Slaughter My dad will beat you up, little punk kids! Apparently this girl got epically trolled by 4chan users and her dad thought yelling at a video camera was going to help the situation. A case of misplaced rage, or just plain old generational disconnection? This guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about. Poor old man. "Consequences will never be the same." What does that even mean?
17. Best Cry Ever This was a heartfelt and solemn display of reconciliation that is not the least bit funny until this guy starts up with his unique animal cry. No matter how bad you may feel for him, it's incredibly difficult not to smile. And why shouldn't we? His bizarre expression of pain has given joy to millions.
16. Chinese Man Throws Bicycle at Thieves on Scooter Who knows if this is real, but it's still funny, because someone threw a bike and some people got hit with a bike. If it was real then the bicycle throwing man is a total badass. Just look at how smooth his throw is, how determined his aim, how resolved his gait after the motorists eat shit. If it's real, he's a hero. Either way, it's awesome.
15. The Rapping Weatherman's fourth weather rap Rapping Weatherman. This video is evidence that hip hop really has seeped into the most esoteric banalities of the mainstream. But this guy probably grew up on Too Live Crew and the like because he represents just about as hard as anyone, considering his subject matter is the most boring thing ever.
14. Pants on the Ground!!! This man came on live national television with an important message to the youth. "Pull your damn pants up, son!" Now, most 62 year-old curmudgeons would just sit around sulking and yelling at the grandkids, but this man is not most men. The saddest part about this is the fact that this song is just about as good as much of what's produced these days.
13. Life in Quarantine -- The Fully Sick Rapper Not everybody who is quarantined for eight months with Tuberculosis would be as productive as this talented Aussie fellow. In fact, most people would just lie there and watch TV. Here's to human creativity in the face of adversity. Plus his raps are pretty good, not to mention his video editing skills.
12. Gingers Do Have Souls! Amazing how the Internet can turn one kid's misguided plea for acceptance and compassion into a comedic gold mine, though this kid is really not the best spokesperson for a group of people who don't want to be made fun of.
11. Unicorn After Wisdom Teeth (with subtitles) Watching people under anesthesia is great, isn't it? Their minds are elsewhere, lost in a magical world we sober people can only dream of. They say stupid shit, move all weird-like with their tongues and limbs as if they were underwater, and generally don't know what is going on. They've crossed over into the other place beyond our comprehension, and all we can do is look on in amazement. 10. This drummer is at the wrong gig In his soul he is a heavy-metal god, but in the real world, you got to pay the bills and he plays side shows and weddings. But that's not going to stop this kick-ass drum shredder from rocking out heavier than anyone around. Much respect to this man for staying true to his inner calling.
9. Boombox (ft. Julian Casablancas) A year's roundup of viral videos really wouldn't be complete without a contribution from the fellas at Lonely Island. Sure, it's a professionally shot humor video, but this one has Andy Sandberg and Julian Casablancas, of Strokes fame, telling the cautionary tale of the vast power of the boombox. Heed its danger and power, unless you want to watch old people getting it on.
8. Trololo Sing Along! Trolololo. This video is at once just a feel-good song that even the most disillusioned modern human would have a hard time not smiling at and also a strange culture-shock for anyone who had no idea people somewhere out there in the world did this sort of thing.
7. ChatRoulette Funny Piano Improv #1 Merton gave us a reason to believe in humanity, and helped show the world there can actually be a non-creepy use for Chatroulette. On top of that, he's got crazy piano skills and he's funny, too. Here's hoping we see more of him. (Merton also earned the Lifetime Achieve award at the Westword #WebAwards. -ed.)
6. Old Spice | Questions We don't usually consider commercials worthy of awesome viral video status because they are backed by money and don't really represent a spontaneous eruption of hilarity from normal -- or abnormal -- people, but Old Spice is an exception. Their absurd social commentary is right on. Plus, Swan dive!
5. Insane Clown Posse -- Miracles The lyrics express a wonder at the natural world and a bitter contempt for science to help explain it to them. With face paint and a name like the Insane Clown Posse, you may have trouble getting people to take you seriously, but they try anyway, and in their attempt at being deep, the ICP just ends up inadvertently mocking themselves. There wasn't a need for SNL to parody this. The work had already been done.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Westword's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Denver's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
4. Black Betty with Epic Beard Man We have to love when a creative individual sees a golden opportunity for lulz. One man's humiliation, plus a classic rock tune, equals making all our lives better. Though the original footage got more views, this "Amber Lamps" version is funnier. We love to watch people get served, especially when they deserve it, even more so when it's put to music.
3. WHIP YO HAIR GIRL This bird with mad dance skills is proof that animals have souls, or soul, rather. Now, a formerly annoying song is made slightly less annoying thanks to this smooth-moving bird. The open wings is probably the best animal dance move ever.
2. Double Rainbow These peak moments of human experience with the divine are not really meant to be shared via video with people who weren't there. We viewers, unable to grasp the powerful import of the moment, will reduce your spiritual transcendence to mockery and make a catchy song out of it, which is awesome, by the way. It even inspired its own Double Rainbow beer.
1. Bed Intruder Song The folks who brought you "Autotune The News" made this anxious citizen into a pop sensation with a catchy tune that's as good, if not better than most pop songs coming out these days. You just have to watch it to understand.