4

Former Primasonic frontman starts new Post 303 channel, Clampdown Radio, and a new band

^
Keep Westword Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Denver and help keep the future of Westword free.

See Also:Q&A with Sin and Kurt of PrimasonicFormer Indie 101.5 music director and Lipgloss co-founder looking to break into Internet radio

Sindo Lamas, the former frontman of Primasonic has been involved in radio off and on since the '80s. He recently launched Clampdown Radio, which grew out of his involvement with Post 303 Radio. Now a channel of Post 303, Clampdown (the name is a reference to the Clash song), features about 90 percent local indie bands with the remaining 10 percent being made up of indie band from around the globe.

"Getting on the air at Post 303 made me want to start up something of my own, says Lamas. "I love the local scene and wanted to expose some great Denver bands to the world, so they can see what they're missing by listening to commercial radio."

Since starting in February, Lamas says his listener base has grown daily, with people tuning in from various parts of the world, from Spain, Germany and Japan to India, Iran and Italy. "But the main focus is Denver and the surrounding areas," he clarifies. "Always will be. We have a vibrant scene with great bands playing all sorts of amazing music -- genres be damned! It's not abnormal to hear Bad Luck City followed by the Blackouts followed by the Informants followed by Speedwolf."

Lamas says at the moment most programming is on a random rotation (think Jack FM but with much edgier music), but starting next week we will have programmed shows and live shows. If that weren't enough to keep him busy, he also has a new band, Shoot the Runner, which includes Chris Moreno of the SOB's, Dose and Denver Maulers, with whom he's been working on material with over the last few years. Lamas says that while Primasonic was great garage/punk/rock band, this project is more experimental.

"There are electronic elements as well as less screaming," he notes. "The punk attitude is still there...but in a subtler way. The songs are also darker lyrically. Think Nick Cave meets Ministry in the Black Keys' garage, and they all get wasted and jam."



Follow Backbeat on Twitter: @westword_music


Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.

 

Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.