4
| Lists |

In honor of Halloween, here are our five favorite theremin cover songs

^
Keep Westword Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Denver and help keep the future of Westword free.

The theremin is a choice instrument for making spooky Halloween sounds. Case in point: this collection of theremin cover songs, in which a slew of popular tunes immediately become significantly more creepy after being filtered through the completely awesome but frightening device. It's one of our favorite instruments and has certainly been used for less creepy hit songs in the past, but we can't help but associate it with Halloween. We'll just blame those old Halloween records and move on.

5. Gnarls Barkley - "Crazy"

This one was making the rounds a few years ago, but it still stands as one of the most hilarious and bizarre theremin covers out there. It's also one of the most complicated and in-depth covers. Sure, it utilizes other instruments along with the theremin, but clearly the thermin is in the, ahem, lead here. Now can we get a version of "Fuck You?"

4. Star Trek - Theme Song

This one probably falls under the list of obvious cover songs, but the public-access-style wackiness of this video makes it earn a top spot in our hearts. Only the ballsiest of Trekkies are going to dress up and play theremin.

3. The Legend of Zelda - Theme Song

It's no secret that 90 percent of theremin players are total dorks (the other 10 percent being classically trained musicians). Exhibit A: This surprisingly well done cover of the theme song from The Legend of Zelda. Even though it's an upbeat song, it still sounds creepy to us, but maybe we just have issues.

2. Peter DeRise/George Gershwin - "Deep Purple/'S Wonderful" Medley

Some of the greatest theremin players in the world can do covers, which is why we have Dr. Samuel Hoffman here taking on a weird-ass lounge rendition of "Deep Purple'" and segueing it into "'S Wonderful." The Ultra Lounge series was all about having a "groovy twist," but if you imagine this playing in the haunted house you're at this weekend, it'll still be a sure fit.

1. Bing Crosby - "White Christmas"

The winner for most unintentionally creepy thermin cover song goes to this one for reasons that should be clear after watching this video. Just look at the look on this guy's face! Then we get some awesome lens-flare toward the end. Who would have thought you could turn a Christmas classic like this into a Halloween tune so quickly?

Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.

 

Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.