There's nothing like experiencing the sweat, thump and catharsis of a great show. Trouble is, you live in Denver, the land of embarrassing riches when it comes to music, the land of too many shows and too little time. So which ones are worth checking out? Glad you asked. After the jump, we've compiled a list of the best shows this weekend in one easy-to-swallow post, with video and audio.
This weekend, like most others in the Mile High City, packs some serious punch. Our must-see list this time around features CD release shows from Natural Selection and the Gromet, appearances from Air Dubai and La Roux, and a giant block party courtesy of Hot Congress with about a dozen bands. Get the full scoop after the jump, and feel free to let us know if we missed anything.
01. HOT CONGRESS AND LONG SPOON BLOCK PARTY With Action Friend, Mercuria, Dustin Reid, Mike Marchant and Crawford Philleo, Pollin Population, Action Packed Thrill Ride, Dovekins, Lumineers, Old Radio, Jim Jims, Abe Abraham and the Holy Mountain, Princess Music Meadowlark and Larimer Lounge Saturday, June 5, 7 p.m. $4
WHY YOU SHOULD GO: If you read the list of bands, you pretty much already know: There will be a ton of bands, and all of them are good. From the spaced-out psychedelic pop of Mike Marchant and Crawford Philleo to the feel-good bluegrass jams of Dovekins, there's something for everyone -- and at these prices, you can't go wrong.
02. AIR DUBAI With The Epilogues Bluebird Theatre Friday, June 4, 8 p.m. $10
WHY YOU SHOULD GO: Take a sound something like Lupe Fiasco -- except for grooves coming from a five-member backing band -- add connections to Flobots, and it's not hard to anticipate that Air Dubai may be the next big thing to come out of Denver. See them before everyone else catches on, so later you can rub it in their smug faces.
LISTEN Air Dubai
03. LA ROUX With Boyhollow Ogden Theater Saturday, June 5, 9 p.m. $20-$25
WHY YOU SHOULD GO: Eleanor Jackson, frontwoman and namesake of La Roux (which translates roughly to "the readhead" in French), captures the oh-so-hot-right-now sound of '80s rave-pop more convincingly than perhaps anyone since that decade -- and she looks the part. Go just to see her ginger hair molded into something resembling a soft-serve ice cream cone.
LISTEN La Roux
Resale Concert Tickets
04. NATURAL SELECTION CD RELEASE PARTY With Pirate Signal, Wire Faces, Milton Melvin Croissant III Meadowlark Friday, June 4, doors at 8 p.m. (I can't find a listed door price for this one)
WHY YOU SHOULD GO: Considering the caliber of musicians frontman and songwriter Samuel Glover works with, you're hardly likely to see a tighter performance this weekend -- and since all three members live in different states (Glover's home base is here), these guys don't play as often as we'd like.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
LISTEN Natural Selection
05. THE GROMET CD RELEASE With Calder's Revolvers, Casey James Prestwood and the Burning Angels Moe's Original BBQ Saturday, June 5, doors 8:30 p.m. $5
WHY YOU SHOULD GO: With its happy-dance-friendly melodies, sprightly tempos and jam-band-minus-noodling aesthetic (the songs are actually short, sweet, and tight), The Gromet is likely to have you leaving the show feeling good. It's not a new sound, but that doesn't make it any less classic.
LISTEN The Gromet