Cops: Claude Wilkerson Kept Woman Chained to Bed, Repeatedly Raped Her | Westword

Cops: Claude Wilkerson Kept Woman Chained to Bed, Repeatedly Raped Her

Claude Wilkerson is in plenty of trouble with the law. On Sunday, the resident of Gateway, on Colorado's Western Slope, was arrested on suspicion of sexual assault, kidnapping, contributing to the delinquency of a minor and more. If he's found guilty of these crimes, Wilkerson will face a hefty sentence...
Share this:
Update: Last week, we reported about Claude Wilkerson, a former Texas death row inmate who was arrested in Mesa County for sexual assault, kidnapping and more; see our previous coverage below.

Now, additional details about Wilkerson's alleged crimes have emerged — and they're shocking.

He's accused of holding a woman hostage in his rural home for months, during which he's said to have raped her on multiple occasions.

Moreover, authorities believe a young runaway also living on the property helped Wilkerson knock the woman unconscious with the use of diesel engine cleaner.

The crimes took place in the small Western Slope community of Gateway.

According to an arrest affidavit obtained by the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel, authorities stumbled upon what the paper describes as a "house of horrors" on February 20, after Mesa County Sheriff's Office deputies responded to reports that a runaway had been found.

The girl said Wilkerson, who she knew as "Chay," was keeping a woman tied to his bed — and that she'd helped him bind her.

She added that he'd threatened to kill her if she blew the whistle on them.

A deputy subsequently met with Wilkerson and the woman, whose mannerisms struck him as troubling.

So, too, did her request to be arrested on an outstanding warrant in her name, valued at just $50.

During a subsequent interview, the woman said she'd been homeless when Wilkerson offered her a place to stay the previous October in exchange for work around his home

Instead, she says, the runaway girl pressed a rag soaked with the engine cleaner to her face in an effort to subdue her. Meanwhile, Wilkerson allegedly attempted to wrap her feet with wire, but when she managed to kick free, he opted for a tow chain he used to attach her to the bed."

The affidavit quotes Wilkerson as saying he was a "Shaman" who could see the devil inside the woman — and he needed to keep her chained until the demon departed.

With just a few exceptions (a handful of trips to the backyard, two visits to a store in Gateway), the woman said she was kept chained for months. Over that span, she told law enforcers, Wilkerson raped her repeatedly. And these assaults weren't the only reason she feared for her life.

An excerpt from the affidavit quoted by 9News reads: "He also would often claim that he was a serial killer. She said because of the way he chained her and treated her, she believed it to be true that he was a serial killer." 

She added that "she was treated like a pet...and would be rewarded with good behavior." At Christmas, for example, she said Wilkerson gave her a marijuana pipe and a coloring book.

The woman is now out of Wilkerson's control — and he's being held on a $1 million bond.

Look below to see two 9News items — the first about his most recent crimes, the second about how he managed to get off death row in Texas. They're followed by our previous coverage.

The allegations against Wilkerson include:

• First Degree Kidnapping, a class 2 felony

• Sexual Assault, a class 3 felony

• Contributing to the Delinquency of a Minor, a class 4 felony

• False Imprisonment, a class 5 felony

• Harboring a Minor, a class 2 misdemeanor.

Thus far, the details about Wilkerson's alleged offenses are few, likely owing to the age of his alleged victim. But he's being held on a $1 million bond.

Look below to see a larger version of Wilkerson's booking photo, followed by the account of the 1978 slayings from the David Roeder court document.



December 29, 1988

On January 23, 1978, appellant, Claude Wilkerson, and Mark Cass went to the home of Don Fantich. Under gunpoint, Fantich opened his safe and gave Wilkerson the cash inside. While they were there, Dr. William Fitzpatrick called and was told by Wilkersn to come by the house in hopes that he would be bringing drugs to Fantich. After Fitzpatrick arrived, Fantich and Fitzpatrick were taken in Fantich's car to a jewelry store owned by Georgiana Rose. Cass stayed outside in the car with Fitzpatrick while the others went into the jewelry store. They robbed the store, abducted Rose, and all three of the victims were taken to appellant's apartment. Appellant's roommate, Bobby Avila, arrived and agreed to help watch the hostages. After a discussion, it was decided that the hostages should be taken to appellant's parents' ranch in Shiner, Texas. Appellant, Avila, and Cass took them to the ranch.

The next day appellant and Cass went into town and tried to reach Wilkerson by telephone. On the way back to the ranch, they purchased a bag of lime. When they returned, appellant, Cass, and Avila decided that they would have to shoot the hostages. Appellant and Cass chose a place to bury them and dug a hole. The three of them then took the hostages to the hole. They agreed that each would shoot one of the hostages. On a signal, they fired. Appellant shot Fitzpatrick; Avila shot Rose; Cass shot Fantich. They put the bodies into the hole, put lime on the bodies, and buried them. They left the jewelry and guns in the attic of the house and returned to Houston. On the way back to Houston, they burned Fantich's car.

On January 26, 1978, Wilkerson told them to leave town and gave appellant $300. Appellant and Cass returned to the ranch, covered the grave with some branches, buried the jewelry and guns in several locations in the barn, and left for Grand Junction, Colorado, where both were later arrested.

In his first point of error, appellant contends that the trial court erred in admitting evidence seized during an illegal, warrantless entry into his apartment by police in violation of his rights under the Texas and United States constitutions.

During the afternoon of January 27, 1978, Claude Wilkerson confessed to his participation in the robbery and kidnapping of Fantich, Fitzpatrick, and Rose. He also implicated appellant in the crimes and told police that the last time he saw the victims was on the night of the robbery at appellant's apartment, four nights earlier. About 8 p.m., Wilkerson took the police to the apartment, but the officers did not attempt to enter the apartment at that time.

Around midnight, the officers returned to appellant's apartment purportedly in search of the victims although the officer testified that he believed that they were probably dead. The police did not have a warrant, nor is there an explanation in the record as to why they had not obtained one.

Lights were on in the apartment, and music was being played loudly. After no one responded to their knocks, the police went to an upstairs apartment where appellant's sister lived. Her name had been discovered on a mail box. She told the officers that appellant had gone to Grand Junction, Colorado, but she did not know whether Avila (appellant's roommate) was in the apartment.

The officers contacted the apartment manager to open the apartment; however upon entry, no one was found. The officers then called for a special investigator to conduct a thorough search of the apartment. In the search of the apartment, the officers recovered a gold chain with the price tag on it, duct tape that had been used and thrown away, and registration papers for appellant's car. Around 2:30 a.m. January 28, 1979, during the officers' search, Avila returned to the apartment and was placed under arrest.

Can you help us continue to share our stories? Since the beginning, Westword has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver — and we'd like to keep it that way. Our members allow us to continue offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food, and culture with no paywalls.