Could Jeffco students be getting two snow days? Forecast looks good

Keep Westword Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Denver and help keep the future of Westword free.

At 5 a.m. this morning, when Jefferson County officials decided to declare a snow day, there wasn't all that much of the stuff. Even in the Ken-Caryl Ranch area, near the foothills, only about an inch of it had collected on driveways. But Jefferson County Public Schools spokeswoman Lynn Setzer says the prospect of more precipitation prompted the call. "It was based on snow falling throughout the day," she says. "We didn't want to get kids at school and then have a dangerous situation getting them home. We'd rather err on the side of safety for kids, even though it can be risky."

Not risky for the kids -- risky for public relations, if the storm peters out.

Still, Setzer says the district seldom gets much push-back either from parents who would rather supervisors wait for the snow to build up instead of relying on predictions or old-timers who remember the days when schools would remain in session unless the snow accumulation could be measured in feet. "Mostly, parents are grateful that we as early as possible let them know there's not going to be school, so they can plan their day," she says. "That's another reason we try to think ahead. If we start sending kids home early and parents aren't there, that's not a good situation."

Given the enormous size of Jefferson County, conditions can vary widely near the various schools -- especially the mountain schools, which Jeffco can close even on days when its other facilities remain open. Today, that wasn't a debate: "Based on the forecast of snow all day today and part of tomorrow, it felt like a safe call to close all the schools," she notes.

What about tomorrow, given that predictors currently see snow continuing through 6 p.m. Thursday and perhaps intensifying again in the morning hours? Setzer offers no promises, but she does say the superintendent's office doesn't have to wait until tomorrow at 5 a.m. to pull the snow-day trigger again. "I think that's going to be a day-part by day-part call," she allows. "If things aren't looking good at five o'clock tonight or three o'clock this afternoon, the superintendent will make that decision."

And now, students: Let us pray.

Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.


Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.