What states would be the most and least susceptible to annihilation should the Zombie Apocalypse prove to be an actual thing? The folks at Estately considered this important question -- and Colorado was ranked among those states whose citizens were most likely to survive.
Why? That's explained below with a little help from Estately excerpts and photos from our "Zombie Crawl 2013" slide show. Continue to count down the top ten.
Note: The metrics used by Estately to determine the rankings are as follows:
1. Active Military Personnel: States with more soldiers per capita means states with more people who are physically fit, trained to fight, and have access to weapons.
2. Military Veterans: Percentage of veterans per capita is a solid way of measuring fighting experience.
3. Physically Active: States with residents who rarely get out of their Laz-E-Boy will not escape the zombie menace.
4. Martial Arts Enthusiasts: Hand-to-hand combat is an important skill when the ammo runs out (source -- percentage of Facebook users who listed "martial arts" as an interest).
5. People with Survival Skills: In the long run, knowing how to survive without modern conveniences in a collapsed society will be critical (source -- percentage of Facebook users who listed "survival skills" as an interest).
6. People with Knowledge of Zombies: To know your enemy you must know their ways (source -- percentage of Facebook users who listed "zombies, Resident Evil, Zombieland, and The Walking Dead" as interests).
7. Laser Tag Enthusiasts: Yes, laser tag. Few things prepare you for a zombie attack in enclosed space (source -- percentage of Facebook users who listed "laser tag" as an interest).
8. People with Guns: Shooting a zombie in the head is really the best way to defeat a zombie, and to do that you need a gun.
9. Obesity: The obesity epidemic will yield to the zombie epidemic because the obese will struggle with running away from zombies. It's really very simple.
10: Paintball Enthusiasts: Those who can slink around the woods unnoticed while splattering their enemies with paint will find success shooting zombies in nature (source -- percentage of Facebook users who listed "paintball" as an interest).
11. Triathletes: When everything breaks down, running, swimming, and bicycling will be ideal ways to escape zombies (source -- percentage of Facebook users who listed "Ironman triathlon" as an interest).
Number 10: Wisconsin
Should the zombies enter an office building in Wisconsin, they'll face a large number of people prepared to shoot zombies in confined areas because Wisconsin is home to the most laser tag enthusiasts per capita in America. Wisconsin is awesome.
Number 9: New Hampshire
New Yorkers fleeing a zombie apocalypse will drive up real estate prices when the move to the Granite State, the most prepared in the Northeast.
Continue to keep counting down the ten states most likely to survive the Zombie Apocalypse. Number 8: Nevada
Las Vegas is home to the Zombie Apocalypse Store, so it'll be easy to buy supplies to fend off the walking dead. Cities around the state are already prepping with zombie pub crawls, a state run zombie prevention site, and more.
Number 7: Arizona
Home to both the Department of Zombie Defense and the Arizona Zombie Defense Force. The state of Arizona trains for the zombie apocalypse with zombie walks, a Zombie Night at an Arizona Diamondbacks game, and much more.
Continue to keep counting down the ten states most likely to survive the Zombie Apocalypse. Number 6: Montana
The state's residents previously prepared to face the zombie apocalypse, but that was because pranksters hacked into a TV station's EAS and broadcasted a message that the zombie apocalypse had begun. Had that not been a test, those zombies would have experienced the full wrath of Montana's arsenal because that state is heavily armed.
Number 5: New Mexico
This state knows its zombie facts (from movies and TV shows), but it's also full of triathletes and martial enthusiasts. Not only can residents escape from zombies by running, swimming, or biking, but they can also turn around and dole out some beat downs like the ninja assassins they are.
Continue to keep counting down the ten states most likely to survive the Zombie Apocalypse. Number 4: Idaho
If a horde of zombies stumbles into Lewiston, Idaho they're going to have their hands full. Idahoans are physically active, heavily armed, and are hard to catch because they're oddly really into parkour.
Number 3: Colorado
Coloradans are well known to be among the most physically fit in the country so when zombies start crawling out of their graves, most of the state's residents will be miles away, easily jogging up a 10,000-foot mountain.
Continue to keep counting down the ten states most likely to survive the Zombie Apocalypse. Number 2: Wyoming
No other state has a shared love of zombie movies and guns like Wyoming. While New Yorkers are having their brains eaten in cafes and elevators, the fine people of Wyoming will be sitting on the front porch with a shotgun enjoying a prolonged zombie hunting season.
Number 1: Alaska
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
In a state where residents run from bears and moose, they will not be scared of slow-moving corpses. Alaska is packed with military personnel and veterans, and they're only a fraction of the well-armed Alaskans prepared to shoot zombies from a moving snowmobile.
Send your story tips to the author, Michael Roberts.
More from our Photos archive circa November 2013: "Photos of the Day: Zombies at the airport move faster than the usual kind."