As Westword's Ask the Bartender columnist, I've talked with many bartenders for Cafe Society's "Behind the Bar" series, posing numerous questions to Denver's top bartenders...and often receiving the same answers: "I love chartreuse," or "I'm really into smoked cocktails/barrel aging/bottled cocktails."
Some time ago, a Facebook friend posted 25 things about himself that most people weren't aware of -- and then he tagged me in the post, at which point I was supposed to do the same: rattle off 25 little-known facts about myself and ask someone else to follow suit. Instead, I'm asking Denver's bartenders to get up and close with Westword readers and share 25 lesser known tidbits about themselves -- and then name the next bartender that I should interview.
I've been going to the Squire Lounge, an East Colfax staple, for about thirteen years, the same number of years I've lived in Denver. Here, you can always count on a stiff drink, friendly bartenders and, in years past, an eclectic, unusual crowd. It reminds me of the dives that I haunted in Jersey City, so it definitely feels like home to me. But earlier this year, the Squire got a facelift, and the crowd has changed a bit (for the better). The old girl is a lot prettier, too, and bartender Mikey Mazzotta takes care of his guests with effortless ease. In fact, his personality is perfectly suited to this quintessential East Colfax hangout. In the entertaining interview that follows, Mazzotta admits to an unhealthy obsession with Miley Cyrus, claims he's been partying hard since he was an infant and warns that you'd better stay away from his Percocet.
1. I've always partied this fucking hard...ever since I was a baby.
2. I grew up skateboarding in Southern California, but moved to Denver eight years ago to live with my brother and be a part of Satellite Boardshop.
3. NS Krüe forever.
4. My buddy and I own a motorcycle shop called "Shit Bird." I only show up when I feel like it, and it pisses him off.
5. I play in a group called Cobraconda with some of my best friends. Those dudes know how to party better then anyone I know.
6. My first band was called Molotov Rocktail. We sucked, but it's still one of my favorite band names of all time.
7. I once survived a whole week drinking nothing but tequila and Tecate. T.F.F.T.
8. I am no longer associated with the Shag Lounge. End of story. But bartender Charley Cox is still one of the coolest dudes out there.
9. I tried to fight one of the cast members of Pawn Stars on the Las Vegas Strip. Reed Wolf had to pull me away.
10. I once got a tattoo while I was backstage at a Naughty By Nature concert. It says "What Ever You Want Babes." Yes, I knew it's spelled wrong. Yes, I thought it was funnier that way.
11. I have an obsession with the Lakers, Coca-cola and all things related to Walt Disney.
12. I also may have an unhealthy obsession with Miley Cyrus and Rihanna #hornyforriri
13. I once got yelled at for drinking Motorhead lead singer Ian Fraser "Lemmy" Kilmister's whiskey while he was performing on stage. He ended up sharing with me. I also wrote "MEATBALL RULZ" on Motorhead's travel case just so they wouldn't forget me.
14. Oh yeah, one of my nicknames is "Meatball." I have a switchblade fork with a meatball tattooed on my arm.
15. MTV once tried to make a TV show about my skate crew The Wetboys. The show got vetoed by crew vote, but not before we spent a good amount of their money on booze. (See www.westword.com/2008-05-01/news/boys-will-be-wetboys/ )
16. I live my life by two rules: Don't touch my Percocet. And do you have any Percocet?
17. I have a chihuahua named "Baka." He is so Goddamn adorable and a fucking saint.
18. I'm here for a good time, not for a long time.
19. I don't play video games, but Reilly, my roommate, has a PS4, and he's better then you at it. I sometimes get drunk and watch him kill people.
20. My favorite restaurant is El Tarasco in Manhattan Beach, and if you come to California with me, I will probably make you eat every meal there.
21. My nollie flips are mob as fuck.
22. It's not long, but it's skinny.
23. I can sing pretty much every lyric Nelly ever wrote. So if any chicks know some Kelly Rowland, I see no dilemma in a little duet.
24. I'm actually Italian, even though everyone just thinks I'm Mexican.
25. I work at the Squire Lounge on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. I'm the one you have to fuck in order to get a drink around there.
Missed one of my interviews with a Denver bartender? Read the rest of them below. - 25 things you never knew about Patrick Karbon, bartender at Crash 45 - 25 things you never knew about Luke Fairchild, bartender of Lost Lake Lounge - 25 things you never knew about J.J. Hilger, bartender of Hi-dive - 25 things you never knew about Dwight Long, bartender at My Brother's Bar - 25 things you never knew about Ken Kodys, beverage manager of Breckenridge-Wynkoop - 25 things you never knew about Brian Smith, bartender at the Squeaky Bean - 25 things you never knew about Kade Gianetti, bartender at Linger - 25 things you never knew about Melissa Durant, bartender at Acorn - 25 things you never knew about Steuben's bartender Ryan Layman - 25 things you never knew about Chad Michael George, bartender at Williams & Graham
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.