4

The dangers of working with liquid nitrogen

^
Keep Westword Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Denver and help keep the future of Westword free.

Germany is now short one chef and the science of molecular gastronomy has claimed another victim. This, from the Daily Telegraph:

"The 24-year-old chef was experimenting with a recipe involving liquid nitrogen, which is used by chefs including Heston Blumenthal to freeze food, when there was suddenly an 'enormous explosion.'"

Said "enormous explosion" apparently blew one of the guy's hands completely off and so damaged the other that it had to be amputated once he got to the hospital. The chef (24-year-old Martin Enger) was in critical condition and on life support when the Telegraph story hit the stands.

And while I certainly don't want to make light of this accident, I do have to say one thing: According to reports, Enger was messing with liquid nitrogen in his girlfriend's mother's kitchen.

Which means not in a professional kitchen. Not under the (ostensible) supervision of a boss or exec who might've known what he was doing and how to handle the chemical. This stuff is dangerous enough under laboratory conditions. Giving it to chefs in the first place is just asking for trouble (because, really, it's just hard to resist the practical jokes when in possession of a dewar of something capable of freezing someone's weiner solid), and I'm always surprised when I go a day without hearing about someone either blowing themselves up or freezing something off with it. But to be hauling the stuff around and bringing it into a home kitchen?  That's just incredibly unwise on many different levels. 

And I know because I got to play with the stuff while hanging out with Ian Kleinman (the supposed expert who would be keeping me from hurting myself or those around me) in his kitchen last year, and even I knew that letting me screw around with something so dangerous was probably a really bad idea.

It didn't stop me, of course.  But I did know it was a bad idea.

For the full report (and a description of the excuse used by the chef when the police showed up to investigate the explosion), check out the entire Telegraph story here.

Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.

 

Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.

 

Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.