Red Rocks Amphitheatre had a storied history long before U2 helped up the venue's profile when the band recorded its famous Under a Blood Red Sky concert there in 1983. A live recording of "New Year's Day" from that show is now part of Red Rocks Live, a compilation of live Red Rocks tracks that Denver Arts & Venues is releasing this week.
The album was originally launched to celebrate the venue's 75th anniversary in 2015; the three-LP limited-edition vinyl collection includes tracks from 1978 through 2014 by bands including the Grateful Dead, Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings, Cake, the Lumineers, Leonard Cohen, Peter Gabriel and others.
“Red Rocks is such an iconic venue that every night produces a classic show,” Red Rocks marketing director Brian Kitts says in a statement. “The twenty tracks on Red Rocks Live represent a tiny sample from some really unique concerts. It’s by no means an exhaustive history. There are some cool tracks from great Colorado bands. Some of the artists featured are joining us again this season, and some voices we can now only hear on record,” Kitts continued. “We’re extremely grateful to the artists represented for allowing us to go back to their special time at Red Rocks.”
Red Rocks Live is available for $55 at the Red Rocks Trading Post and Visitor Center while supplies last. The album can also can be ordered online at the venue's website, and is available in a digital format on iTunes, Amazon and other online outlets.
Red Rocks Live Full Track List
1. Cake - "Love You Madly" (7/28/12)
2. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings - "You'll Be Lonely" (6/13/15)
3. Shakey Graves - "Roll the Bones" (7/13/09)
4. John Prine - "Angel From Montgomery" (7/12/15)
5. The Lumineers - "Cleopatra" (6/8/16)
6. Florence + The Machine - "Dog Days Are Over" (8/3/15)
7. Imagine Dragons - "Radioactive" (5/16/13)
8. Ingrid Michaelson - "Girls Chase Boys" (6/21/15)
9. Death Cab for Cutie - "Grapevine Fires" (7/15/15)
10. The Grateful Dead - "Ship of Fools" (7/8/78)
11. Leonard Cohen - "So Long Marianne" (6/4/09)
12. Peter Gabriel - "Family Snapshot" (9/30/12)
13. U2 - "New Years Day" (6/5/83)
14. Thievery Corporation - "Lebanese Blonde" (6/19/15)
15. Macklemore - "Same Love" (9/29/12)
16. Paramore - "Ain't It Fun" (8/12/14)
17. Widespread Panic - "Aint Life Grand" (6/24/16)
18. String Cheese Incident - "Black Clouds" (9/6/03)
19. Barenaked Ladies - "The Old Apartment" (6/5/16)
20. The Fray - "How to Save a Life" (5/11/12)
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.