Here's what's good in the Mile High City this week: Yonder Mountain String Band is slated for five dates at the Boulder Theater in December, Jason Aldean coming to the Pepsi Center in October with Chris Young and Thompson Square, IHeartComix's The Check Yo Ponytail Tour featuring Franki Chan, Pictureplane, Big Freedia and the Death Set is coming to Summit Music Hall in October. On local radio, Matt Morris, DeVotchKa, Force Publique and ManCub got some spins. Meanwhile, at our local record stores, new and recent releases from Snake Rattle Rattle Snake, Jay-Z and Kanye West, Gillian Welch and Washed Out were among this week's top sellers. Click through for a full rundown.
This Just In: New Concerts and On-sale Dates
Anyone who didn't catch Yonder Mountain String Band at Red Rocks is going to have five more chances to catch the Nederland-based neo-grass act when the band hits the Boulder Theatre for a five-night stand starting on Tuesday, December 27 and running until New Year's Eve. Tickets ($35 general admission, $65 New Year's Eve and $185 for the five-day pass) go on sale Wednesday, August 31 at 10 a.m.
Jason Aldean, who was named Billboard's Top Male Country Artist for 2010, brings his My Kinda Party Tour with special guests Chris Young and Thompson Square to the Pepsi Center on Friday, October 21. Reserved tickets ($39.75-$53.75) go on sale Friday, August 26 at 10 a.m.
Starting in October, Pictureplane hits the road as part of the The Check Yo Ponytail Tour, which hits the Summit Music Hall on Tuesday, October 25 with with Big Freedia, the Death Set and Franki Chan.
Brandi Carlile: Tue., Dec. 6, 8 p.m., $43. Tim Minchin: Sun., Oct. 9, 8 p.m., $25-$30. Otis Taylor's 1st Annual Trance Jam Blues Festival: Featuring Bob Margolin, Tony Trischka, Mato Nanji-Standing Bear, George Porter Jr., Don Vappie, Ron Miles and Cassie Taylor, Sat., Nov. 26, 8 p.m. Yonder Mountain String Band: Dec. 27-31, 8 p.m., $43/ 5-day pass $199.50.
MiM0SA: Sat., Oct. 29, 7 p.m., $25.
Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears: Tue., Nov. 22, 9 p.m., $15/$17. Chali 2na & MTHDS: Wed., Nov. 9, 8:30 p.m., $15/$18. Datsik: Mon., Sept. 26, 8:30 p.m., $20/$22. Euforquestra: Wed., Oct. 12, 8:30 p.m., $10/$12. Mike Pinto Band: With Cas Haley, Wed., Sept. 14, 8:30 p.m., $8/$10. Rose Hill Drive: With Dax Riggs, Sat., Oct. 15, 8:30 p.m., $15/$17.
Abakus: Fri., Sept. 30. Dick Dale: Sun., Oct. 2.
A.A. Bondy: Wed., Nov. 2, $12. The Moondoggies: With The Romany Rye and the Knew, Wed., Sept. 21, $10.
Authority Zero: Thu., Oct. 20. Blood on the Dancefloor: Tue., Oct. 25. Grieves & Budo: Wed., Oct. 5. Parachute: Thu., Oct. 27. Phantogram: Fri., Oct. 28. The Rapture: Sat., Oct. 1.
The A-OK's: With Potato Pirates, Bomb Blast and Ska Skank Redemption, Thu., Sept. 15, $5. Johnny Cash Tribute Show: With the New Ben Franklins, Reno Divorce and Demon Funkies, Fri., Sept. 9. Koffin Kats: Fri., Oct. 21. Zombie Apocalypse: With the A-OK's, Joe Mondragon (CD release) and GhostTown Bandalu, Fri., Oct. 28, $5.
Jason Aldean: With Chris Young and Thompson Square, Fri., Oct. 21, 7:30 p.m., $39.75/$53.75.
Alesana: Mon., Oct. 24. Check Yo Ponytail Tour: With Big Freedia, the Death Set, Pictureplane and Franki Chan, Tue., Oct. 25. Chimaira: Mon., Oct. 17. Fu Manchu: Fri., Nov. 4. Kyuss Lives!: With the Sword and MonstrO, Tue., Oct. 4, 7 p.m., $25/$28. Unwritten Law: Wed., Sept. 28.
We're currently tracking the playlists from a number of different shows, including KTCL's Locals Only, Radio 1190's Local Shakedown, 99.5 the Mountain's Homegrown Show*, The Colorado Sound*, an independently produced show that is broadcast all over Colorado, and The Colorado Wave, which is syndicated on a number of stations across the country. Here's what the area's local-centric specialty radio shows were spinning this week. *Playlist not available
Nautical Mile - "Weeds" In the Whale - "Heels" Red Letter Day - "Feel" Say So - "Stumble" Joshua Novak - "Heart Hits the Wall" Matt Morris - "Live Forever" Skyfox - "Worst Part of Me" Houses - "Bones of the Earth" Be Brave - "Perfect" Hindershot - "Curse Us All" Kinetix - "Let Me In" Musuji - "Danger Zone" Nathan & Stephen - "Going Home"
Cabaret Diosa - "Comet Samba" Fox Street Allstars - "Somebody In the World For You" The Dirty Lookers - "Whiskey, She's A Liar" The Big Motif - "Does It Weigh Heavy" Beats Noir! - "Poor In America" Jami Lunde - "A Little Bit Blue" The Stone Project - "Fast Moving Freight Train" WhiteWater Ramble - "All Night Drive" Grant Sabin - "My Next Home" Houses - "Witches!" The Knew - "Before It Ends" The H2 BIG BAND - "Blue Brews" Cowboy Dave - "Friend in a Bottle" Kelly Aspen - "I'm Done" Kim Jones - "Everything's Frozen" John Common & Blinding Flashes of Light - "Same Scar" DeVotchKa - "Contrabanda" Lionel Young Band - "I Feel So Good" Dan Treanor & African Wind - "From African Soul" Fafi aka 3Percent - "Chegutu" Pat Murphy - "One Breathe Closer" Zach Heckendorf - "Invisible Ink" Gabrielle Louise - "Pirates of Mental Space" Chuck Pyle - "Jacked Up" Dotsero - "Bi-Bop-Dot"
Mombi - The Understanding Vitamins - Vimanas Pina Chulada - Safe Living Force Publique - Still Falls Apart ManCub - Sound Married in Berdichev - I Need the Sun Hollagramz - Serpent Magnetism Artchitect - I Lost My 808 (Cacheflowe Remix) Narky Stares - AfterDark/Damn Gurl! Mix Iuengliss - Level Test PDR BLK - Hypnotic School Knights - Brothers Nyota - Paved in Bronze
Abandonato - Usual Day Nina Storey - Change Her The Atoll - End Of Forever Jennifer Filzen - Face The Dark Mike Press - Saturated Jason Stocker - End And Beginning Gription - Six Cylinder Crush Rebecca Folsom - In Good Time Hans York - Invocation Itis - Problem Caleb Miller - Prayer Radius - Illuminate 3rd Time Lucky - Those Words We Said
Top Local Sellers - Albums & Downloads
In in-store appearance by Snake Rattle Rattle Snake helped propel the band's new album, Sineater, to the top at Twist & Shout while another in-store with All Time Low at Independent Records helped knock Kanye West & Jay-Z's new album, Watch the Throne, down to number two. Meanwhile Gillian Welch's Harrow and the Harvest moved back to the top at Albums on the Hill and Washed Out' s Within and Without took the top spot at Wax Trax.
01. Gillian Welch - Harrow and the Harvest
02. Adele - 21
03. Mister Heavenly - Out of Love
04. Beastie Boys - Hot Sauce Committee Part 2
05. Wu-Tang - Legendary Weapons
06. The Horrors - Skydiving
07. Dave Alvin - Eleven Eleven
08. Thievery Corporation - Culture of Fear
09. Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator
10. Rose Hill Drive - Americana
01. All Time Low - Dirty Work
02. Kanye West & Jay-Z - Watch the Throne
03. Tech N9NE - All 6's & 7's
04. Ace Hood - Blood Sweat & Tears
05. Kelly Rowland - Here I Am
06. Bad Meets Evil - Hell: The Sequel
07. Chimaira - Age of Hell
08. DJ Khaled - We the Best Forever
09. Adele - 21
10. Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites
01. Snake Rattle Rattle Snake - Sineater
02. Adele - 21
03. Gillian Welch - Harrow and the Harvest
04. Tedeschi Trucks Band - Revelator
05. Jeff Bridges - Jeff Bridges
06. John Hiatt - Dirty Jeans & Mudslide Hymns
07. Mumford & Sons - Sigh No More
08. Keb' Mo' - The Reflection
09. John Butler - Live at Red Rocks
10. Bon Iver - Bon Iver
01. Washed Out - Within and Without
02. Prurient - Bermuda Drain
03. Cults - Cults
04. Gillian Welch - The Harrow and the Harvest
05. Explosions in the Sky - Take Care
06. Owl City - All Things Bright and Beautiful
07. Handsome Furs - Sound Kapital
08. Gucci Mane & Wacka Flocka Flame - Ferrari Boyz
09. Gardens & Villa - Gardens & Villa
10. Death Cab for Cutie - Codes and Keys
01. Afrojack, Steve Aoki, Miss Palmer - "No Beef'" (vocal mix)
02. Joey Negro, Z Factor, Luigi Rocca - "Keep on Jumpin'" (Luigi Rocca mix)
03. The Good Men - "Give It Up" (2011 edit)
04. Kaskade, Mindy Gledhill - "Eyes" (extended mix)
05. Dirty South, Thomas Gold, Kate Elsworth - "Alive'" (original mix)
06. Tiesto - "Work Hard, Play Hard" (original mix)
07. Jon Rundell - "Knick Knack" (original mix)
08. Florence & the Machine - "You've Got the Love" (Mark Knight mix)
09. Stefano Noferini - "Fucking House Music" (original mix)
10. Arty - "Around the World" (Alesso mix)
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!