Put a few thousand people in a room, put on dance music and loose-fitting -- or very little -- clothing and you're bound to drop a few items. Before the ravers who were at Caffeine last night wake up, here are the ten common things you'll find on the floor after a rave. And for a closer look, here are the "People of Caffeine 2012" (slide show.)
10. Fruit Snacks One could deduce that this is smart partying: Don't forget to bring a tasty treat. On the other hand, people just get the munchies, and fruit snacks quench that thirst for a chewy snack.
9. Vomit Absorbent and Deodorizer Powder To the rookie eye, this looks like a simple, innocent pile of saw dust -- to the raver veteran, this is simply something that happens. What you see here is a nicely covered, and about to be swept, puddle of vomit. Since people get sick sometimes at raves, either from partying too hard or just partying with a flu, clean up crews are on stand by for these types of things.
8 .Concessions All that work dancing and fist pumping can work up quite an appetite, luckily venues provide some snacks for people to munch on to lessen the fatigue. Here, you see a nice scattered pile of popcorn mixed with some delightful citrus accouterments: The best thing for fatigue.
7. Undergarments Sadly, someone lost some clothes. On the upside, someone who took home said person who lost this article of clothing, which looks lacy and probably skimpy, is incredibly pumped on their ego.
6. Sunglasses & A Beer Can The only thing that can lead to this sort of loss -- the broken sunglasses/empty Coors tall-boy scenario -- is misappropriation of priorities. The sunglasses served a noble purpose in protecting one's eye sockets from the blasting lasers and strobes, whereas the beer calmed the nerves so the eyes didn't strain too much. This is a crucial combination in the raving process.
The top 5 are on Page 2.
5. Small zip-lock bags Someone brought crushed up Tylenol in case they got a headache.
4. Spent earplugs The earplugs are common among employees and partiers who are long tired of heavy bass and loud techno, but that doesn't mean they don't end up with a home in the trash can.
3. Glow Sticks Weird, someone dropped some glow sticks on the ground. It's possible you may be asking "Who brings glow sticks to a concert?" If you are, then you are probably a homebody who doesn't get out much. The fact is, there are more glow sticks at a rave than there are people, and someone is bound to lose a sweet set like these at some point.
2. Feathers A half-eaten pretzel, a nearly empty cup of cheese dip, and a feather. There can only be one explanation for this combo: A large hawk flew down and ate the ravers who were just trying to nourish themselves between dub-whomping their life away. Or, they got tired of eating an $8 pretzel with dip, shed their feather in shame, and went back to the dance floor.
1. Rolling Papers There is nothing worse than running out of cigarettes at a rave, so someone better be packing someone rolling papers and tobacco.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
Follow Backbeat on Twitter: @westword_music