Anthony Kiedis, Point Break (1991).
Let's test your knowledge where movies and music collide. Can you correctly name which musician appeared in the following films? Check your answers on the last page.
1. This musician offers advice to Rob, played by John Cusak, during a daydream sequence in High Fidelity (2000). A. Bob Dylan B. Bruce Springsteen C. Neil Young D. Paul Simon
2. This singer/songwriter plays God in Dogma (1999) and uses her vocal cords to behead Bartleby, played by Ben Affleck. A. Fiona Apple B. Alanis Morissette C. Joan Osborne D. Sarah McLachlan
3. Yes, this musician really did show up at the New Years Eve party in 200 Cigarettes (1999), and accidentally left his infamous glasses behind. A. Elvis Costello B. Roy Orbison C. Elton John D. Bono
4. This famous blonde did a hella good job portraying another famous blonde, Jean Harlow, in The Aviator (2004). A. Blondie B. Madonna C. Courtney Love D. Gwen Stefani
5. This musician told Marty McFly and the Pinheads they were just "too darn loud" during their Battle of the Bands audition in Back to the Future (1985). A. Huey Lewis B. Rick Springfield C. Robert Palmer D. Eddie Money
6. This Red Hot Chili Pepper licks LSD from Raoul Duke's sleeve during a scene in Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (1998). A. Anthony Kiedis B. Flea C. Chad Smith D. Josh Klinghoffer
7. This Seattle rocker with luxurious locks appeared in Singles (1992) as a neighbor who checks out Cliff's sweet car stereo. A. Kurt Cobain B. Nikki Sixx C. Chris Cornell D. Layne Staley
8. This Rolling Stone appears in Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End (2007) and was the partial inspiration behind Jonny Depp's Captain Jack character. A. Mick Jagger B. Keith Richards C. Charlie Watts D. Ronnie Wood
Continue to page two for more.
9. This rocker and founder of Probot, a heavy metal side project, portrays Satan in Tenacious D: In The Pick Of Destiny (2006). A. Dave Grohl B. Marilyn Manson C. Ozzy Osbourne D. Josh Homme
10. "Just forget you ever saw it; it's better that way," says this country singer who plays the hillbilly pool boy caught shagging the director's wife in Mulholland Drive (2001). A. Garth Brooks B. Toby Keith C. Billy Ray Cyrus D. Tim McGraw
11. This musician played 'the Wanderer' in Domino (2005), and provided music for the film's soundtrack. A. Leonard Cohen B. Nick Cave C. Bob Dylan D. Tom Waits
12. This alt-rock punk band watches Jim's online sexapade during their cameo in American Pie (1999). A. Blink 182 B. Green Day C. The Offspring D. Sum 41
13. This rapper illustrates the following type of smoker in Half Baked (1998): "The Scavenger Smoker never has weed of their own, but as soon as you smoke it, here they come." A. Wiz Khalifa B. Rick Ross C. Snoop Dogg D. Juicy J
14. "See _____ gets it, I don't know why she doesn't get it," says Robbie (played by Adam Sandler), speaking of this famous front man who appears in The Wedding Singer (1998). A. Adam Ant B. Steven Tyler C. Prince D. Billy Idol
15. This famous artist begs Zed to become 'Agent M' in Men in Black II (2002), but is denied. A. Michael Jackson B. Madonna C. Moby D. Meat Loaf
16. The lead singer of this ska band gets scalped by the evil severed hand in Idle Hands (1999) during a performance at a high school dance. A. 311 B. The Offspring C. No Doubt D. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Answers on the next page.
Answers: 1. B. Bruce Springsteen 2. B. Alanis Morissette 3. A. Elvis Costello 4. D. Gwen Stefani 5. A. Huey Lewis 6. B. Flea 7. C. Chris Cornell 8. B. Keith Richards 9. A. Dave Grohl 10. C. Billy Ray Cyrus 11. D. Tom Waits 12. A. Blink 182 13. C. Snoop Dogg 14. D. Billy Idol 15. A. Michael Jackson 16. B. The Offspring
• BACKBEAT'S GREATEST HITS •
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.