This past weekend at Ultra Music Festival in Miami, there were some folks that were better dressed, and others more sensibly garbed, but the following fashionistas spotted during night one of this year's three-day shit fest were the ones that stood out to us the most. These bass junkies in tutus, dead starfish, Pokémon body suits and Halloween costumes offered words of fashion advice and reflection.
10. Ballerina Bassers Hometown: Pompano. Ultra: Their first. Most excited to see: Fatboy Slim.
When you were getting dressed today, what made you put on the tutus? It actually takes weeks of preparation. We just wanted to incorporate as many colors that we could find. Pretty much anything goes. We've been going to these things for a while. So the first time we came, we really didn't dress up, until we saw how everyone was dressed. It's just: Express yourself.
Do you feel emasculated in your tutu, or more masculine in it? The weirder the shit I wear, the more I get hit on. So, no. My footsie pajamas -- it's ridiculous.
9. Star Spangled Basser Hometown: New Jersey. Ultra: She came last year and dressed up both times. Most excited to see: Tiësto, Kaskade, Deadmau5, Swedish House Mafia. Boots: Bought them at I Heart Rave.
What inspired your style? Just the vibe. It's so free. I just love it.
Favorite look here besides your own? Just a lot of jewels, sparkles, colors.
8. I Want to Be Where the Ravers Are Hometown: Austin Ultra: First Most excited to see: Swedish House Mafia and David Guetta. Fact: That's a real starfish on her head that she made into a clip.
You're like a mermaid, right? I'm Ariel.
What made you dress up like this? My friends and I just wanted to do a theme, so we're all Disney princesses.
What's up with the fanny pack? It's a practical thing? Yeah, I've carried purses before, and it's like heavy, and I want to dance. It's really comfortable.
What about the wig? Think you're going to get hot? It's actually pretty cold here. Perfect weather.
7. Trippin' Beads Hometown: Miami Ultra: Not their first.
You made this mask yourself? I knew I wanted to make a mask. I didn't know what design I wanted. What I have is a melting rainbow. These are all neon beads, so they glow in the black light. The "PQ" in the middle actually stands for his [clothing] company Phun Q.
What about your makeup? How'd you do that? You take any kind of eye shadow. You wet the brush, and you paint it on. Then you take a liquid eyeliner and you draw a whole bunch of parentheses around your eyes. And it looks like leopard print.
6. Feather Freakout Hometown: Brooklyn, not Ireland, even though he had an Irish accent. Ultra: First. Fact: His shirt asked, "Is this real life?"
Why did you decide to wear this? Why not?
Is this real life? It is. I think so. Maybe.
You going to come back next year? No. I feel like it's a one and done thing.
Who'd you come to see? To be honest, I'm here for the drugs. I don't care.
5. Goth Lobster Who: Anastasia the Great. Fact: Her dancers are from Russia.
Did you make this out fit? I am Anastasia the Great. This is my stage. Every day is like Halloween for me.
You like any musicians here? I like Tiësto; my favorite. I like techno and house. I hate hip-hop.
4. Somewhere Over the Rainbow Hometown: Orlando. Ultra: One had been to four Ultras, another had been to two. Most excited to see: Carl Cox and Swedish House Mafia.
What inspired your costume? Pretty much, I was this for Halloween, thought it was supercool. So I wanted to be supercool at supercool Ultra.
What advice would you give to other girls who want to come to Ultra? [Screaming] Come! And just have fun!
Fashion advice? [Cute friend in a rainbow boa with face jewels, screaming] Glitter, glitter, glitter! Wear whatever you want!
3. Sock It to Me Hometown: California, and she's from New York. Ultra: Their first. Most excited to see: Sweedish House Mafia.
Where did you get your socks? Her: We got them in Harajuku, Japan.
What encouraged you to wear just these crazy socks today? Her: 'Cause we thought no one else would be rocking them. And they have such wild fashion over there.
How would you describe your style typically? Him: Fucking chillin'!
2. This Magic Kingdom Hometown: Georgia. Ultra: Their first. Most excited to see: Swedish House Mafia, Above and Beyond, Bassnectar.
How would you describe your style? Colorful!
Why'd you decide to dress up today? Right: 'Cause we want to. Left: I wanted an excuse to wear my red lipstick.
Do you make these (bracelets)? Yeah.
Why Minnie Mouse ears? Left: 'Cause it was fun, and I knew it was going to make me feel pretty.
1. Hey You, Pikachu! Hometown: Miami. Ultra: Third.
What's with Pikachu? I just love Pikachu. It's the most loved and caring Pokémon of them all. So why not be loved and cared for by all on this special weekend?
Did you make this mask? Yeah.
Why'd you wear this to Ultra instead of something else? I just wanted to be original, stand out.
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.