We've got another great month of jazz on tap for January with a number of great shows, including saxophonist Joe Lovano and pianist Freddy Cole (Nat "King" Cole's brother), who will be at Dazzle for two-nights, as well as dates from the Uri Caine Trio, the Latin Jazz All Stars and Greg Garrison, who's slated to perform the music of Keith Jarrett. Keep reading for a full rundown of the five best jazz shows in Denver this month.
5. GREG GARRISON QUARTET @ DAZZLE | THU, 1/10/13 As a founding member of the Punch Brothers and current bassist for Leftover Salmon, Greg Garrison clearly knows his way around bluegrass and roots music, and he's even performing with Lyle Lovett later this week on the Cayamo Cruise. But Garrison's also a damn fine jazz bassist, as evidenced on his album Low Lonesome. This Thursday, he performs the music of Keith Jarrett's American and European quartets with pianist Peter Stoltzman, saxophonist John Gunther and drummer Todd Reid.
4. LATIN JAZZ ALL-STARS @ MOUNT VERNON COUNTRY CLUB | THU, 1/24/13 While trombonist Steve Turre has spent three decades on the Saturday Night Live band, he's also a master of Latin jazz and straight ahead jazz and has performed with heavies like Rahsaan Roland Kirk, Santana and Ray Charles. As part of this Latin Jazz All-Stars line-up, he's joined by other masters of Afro Cuban, salsa, Brazilian and Latin jazz, including Grammy-nominated pianist Larry Harlow, percussionist Chembo Corniel, bassist Junior Terry, drummer Diego Lopez and flutist Néstor Torres.
3. FREDDY COLE @ DAZZLE | SAT & SUN, 1/12-13 Freddy Cole might sound a bit like Nat "King" Cole, but it was bound to happen; they're brothers after all. Like his older brother, Freddy plays piano, sings and performs with guitar and bass, but Freddy's voice is a bit raspier and smokier. When he studied at the Julliard in the early '50s he was heavily influenced by John Lewis, Oscar Peterson and Teddy Wilson and has released a number of albums in his five-decade-long career, including his most recent, 2011's Talk to Me.
Resale Concert Tickets
Boston Manor, Microwave, Heart Attack Man and Selfish Things
Wednesday, Dec. 11, 2019 / 6:00pm @ Marquis Theater - CO 2009 Larimer Street Denver CO 802022009 Larimer Street, Denver CO 80202
2. URI CAINE TRIO @ DAZZLE | FRI, 1/11/13 Early in his career, pianist Uri Caine got to play with jazz legends like Philly Joe Jones and Hank Mobley. While Caine is a deft improviser and can play the hell out of bop, he's incredibly multi-faceted and quite equally at home playing avant-garde, classical (he's released a number albums of forward-thinking arrangements of Mahler, Wagner, Beethoven, Bach and Schumann), klezmer and a number of other genres. With the Philadelphia Experiment, he collaborated with bassist Christian McBride and Roots drummer Questlove, and Caine explores jungle and drum and bass with his Bedrock Trio. This Friday, he brings his jazz trio to Dazzle that includes bassist Drew Gress and drummer Clarence Penn.
1. JOE LOVANO US FIVE @ DAZZLE | WED AND THU, 1/30-31 Grammy-nominated saxophonist Joe Lovano has performed and recorded in many different formats over his storied four-decade long career, but for this two-night stand at Dazzle he's bringing the Us Five group that includes the young bass phemon Esperanza Spalding, pianist James Weidman and drummers Francisco Mela and Otis Brown III. The group is set to release its third album, Cross Culture, this week on Blue Note. Lovano is no doubt a masterful improviser so expect some fiery playing that incorporates worldly elements from him and the rest of the group.
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Westword's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Denver's stories with no paywalls.