| Crime |

Daryll Brown gets life for hitting ex-wife Alisha Brown with wine bottle, strangling her to death

Keep Westword Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Denver and help keep the future of Westword free.

On December 30, 2009, Alisha Brown was found murdered in the Sixth Avenue West subdivision. The following February, her ex-husband, Daryll Glenn Brown was arrested for her death.

Now, Brown has been convicted and sentenced to life without parole for a crime involving a sneak attack, blunt force and strangulation.

According to the Jefferson County District Attorney's Office, Brown snuck into his ex-wife's home and smashed her in the head with a wine bottle while she slept. This assault didn't kill her -- so he then proceeded to strangle her to death.

Below, find a photo of Alisha Brown, the initial press releases about the slaying and Brown's arrest, a larger look at Brown's mug shot, an interactive graphic showing the area near where the crime took place (if you have problems seeing the image, click "View Larger Map") and the Jeffco DA office's take on his sentencing:

Initial Jefferson County Sheriff's Office press release:

Homicide in Jeffco

Woman found dead in home

Jefferson County, Co. -- On December 30, 2009 at 1:47 p.m. the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office responded to a death in the Sixth Avenue West subdivision. The victim, a 30-year-old female, was found by her neighbor after numerous attempts to contact her were unsuccessful. The neighbor looked through a window and saw a body inside.

The first responding deputies had to force entry into the house. Initial observations of the body showed some type of trauma. There was no one else inside the residence. The deputies secured the residence and waited for a search warrant before continuing the investigation. Investigators have worked through the night interviewing family, friends and co-workers of the decedent.

The cause and manner of death will be determined by the Jefferson County Coroner.

No arrest has been made and a suspect has not been identified.

Anyone with information about this crime is urged to contact the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office tip line at 303-271-5612.

Jefferson County Sheriff's Office release about Brown's arrest:

Arrest made in Jeffco homicide

Jefferson County, Co. -- On February 12, 2010, at about 12:00 p.m., the Jefferson County Sheriff's Office arrested Daryll Glenn Brown (dob 012365) for the murder of his ex-wife, Alisha Brown (dob 012179).

On December 30, 2009, Alisha was scheduled to meet a friend at her residence located at 14192 W. 4th Ave. When the friend received no answer at the door or on her cell phone, he became concerned. He looked into the windows of the home and saw a body inside. When deputies arrived, they forced entry into the home and found Alisha. It appeared she died of blunt force trauma.

Sheriff's investigators have worked tirelessly on this case, performing a complete and thorough investigation. The suspect was arrested without incident and booked into the Jefferson County Jail. His next court appearance is scheduled for 10 a.m. on Tuesday, February 16, 2010. He's currently being held without bond for first degree murder and domestic violence.

Jefferson County District Attorney's Office release about Brown's sentencing:

Arvada Man Sentenced to Life for Murder of his Ex-wife

Daryll Glenn Brown, 46, was sentenced today to life in prison for the murder of his ex-wife at her home in December, 2009. A Jefferson County jury returned guilty verdicts on January 25, 2011 following two weeks of trial.

Alisha Brown, 31, was found murdered in her bed at her home on December 30, 2009. She lived at 14192 W. 4th Avenue with her four-year-old. She died of blunt force trauma to the head and strangulation.

Daryll Brown used a key to sneak into the house late in the night of December 29 or early December 30. As Alisha lay sleeping, he attacked her, smashing her skull with a wine bottle. He then continued his attack and strangled her to death.

Daryll and Alisha Brown were recently divorced with the final decree in September 2009. It had been a contentious divorce centered on parenting issues of their then 4-year-old son. Alisha and Daryll Brown shared custody of their son.

Just days before her death, Alisha had become very concerned with Daryll Brown's violation of his visitation agreement. He had become unreliable with the visitation requirements. Daryll Brown had picked up their son on December 27, but since that time she had been unable to reach the child and was worried. Alisha had contacted her divorce attorney who was preparing court documents regarding Daryll Brown's violation of the divorce decree. Alisha had emailed Daryll Brown about her concerns and her plans to ask for court intervention.

The documents were ready to be filed with the court on December 30, but according to her divorce lawyer, he never heard back from Alisha.

A friend knocked on Alisha's door on December 30. She had agreed to watch his dogs when he and his wife went out of town. When he got no answer, the neighbor looked through the windows and thought he saw Alisha on the bed. He called 911.

After the long, lengthy, difficult trial, Alisha's mother and older sister, Jennifer Nidalmia, addressed the court today at the sentencing hearing. Alisha's sister said that what she missed most was Alisha's voice. And that today she believed the prosecutors and investigators had again given Alisha a voice.

District Judge Phil McNulty, who was both trial and sentencing judge, said that Daryll Brown had committed the murder by "stealth in the middle of the night," when Alisha could not have known what was about to happen. He told Brown that his actions had essentially made an orphan of his child.

The jury returned their verdicts in the morning of January 25th. Daryll Brown was convicted of First Degree Murder -- Felony Murder, Second Degree Murder, and Burglary. He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

View Larger Map

More from our Mile High Murder archive: "Art Medina drowned Maria Duron, then hanged himself in murder-suicide, coroner reports (49)."

Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.


Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.