Marijuana grow house burns on Happy Jack Road -- and no, we're not making that up

We haven't heard reports about cannabis connoisseurs gathering near Livermore, Colorado on Monday morning -- and if they start showing up in droves now, they'll only be disappointed.

Why? Because they missed the opportunity to stand down-wind as an entire marijuana grow house caught fire and burned.

No doubt the owners of the property were displeased by this turn of events, despite the incident taking place on Happy Jack Road.

The details come from the Larimer County Sheriffs Office, which notes that deputies were called to assist the Glacier View Fire Department, a volunteer force, at around 10:30 a.m. Monday.

At that time, a garage being used as a marijuana grow house was engulfed in flames -- and due to the dryness of the area (this was before snowstorms swept over the state), authorities were fearful the blaze could lead to a wildfire.

Fortunately, that didn't happen despite the conflagration licking to life in an area -- the 1000 block of Happy Jack -- remote enough that the folks at Google Maps have yet to capture it. With additional help from the Livermore Fire Department and Larimer County Emergency Services, the fire was extinguished before it could spread.

Unfortunately, there were casualties -- approximately sixty marijuana plants.

An investigation into the incident is not yet complete. But preliminary indications suggest that the fire was caused an overloaded electrical box. As the LCSO notes, "Marijuana grows typically have high electrical requirements to power lights and fans."

Criminal charges aren't anticipated. As such, the main punishment involves the loss of the garage and the plants, not to mention the missed opportunity for a contact high.

More from our Marijuana archive: "Marijuana grow fires in scary TV report were out before fire crews arrived."

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.


Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.