Michael Wade Jackson arrested: Mohamed Abushahma slain, son critically injured (No. 21)

Aurora Police have confirmed reports about the principals in a weekend killing: Michael Wade Jackson is being held for investigation of homicide in the slaying of Mohamed Abushahma, who's said to have been his longtime friend. Also critically injured in the altercation was Abushahma's seventeen-year-old son, who had to be rescued by police.

Look below to see a full-sized mug shot of Jackson, the latest releases from the APD and an interactive graphic showing the area near the 1695 S. Tucson Street crime scene; if you have problems seeing the image, click "View Larger Map."

Aurora Police Department release:

Detectives Release Updated Information in Connection with Weekend Shooting

Aurora, Colo. -- Aurora Police Major Crime Unit detectives are identifying the suspect who is being held in connection with a fatal shooting that occurred this past weekend. Michael Wade Jackson, 57, of Aurora, is being held without bond in the Arapahoe County Jail for investigation of Murder in the 1st Degree.

Mohamed Abushahma, 50, of Aurora, died when he was shot early Saturday morning. Police are not releasing the identity of Mr. Abushahma's 17-year-old son who was critically injured during the same incident.

Information Previously Released on September 11, 2010, at 11:39 a.m.

Shortly before 2 a.m. this morning, Aurora Police Officers were dispatched to a home in the 1600 block of S. Tucson Street on a report of an armed man.

Responding officers found a man at the front of the residence who was armed with a handgun. For approximately 1½ hours, officers were engaged in tense negotiations with the hope that he would comply with orders and surrender peacefully. During the course of these negotiations, a 911 call for help was placed by a resident from inside the house who reported that he was suffering from a gunshot wound.

Officers developed a rescue plan to send in a team from the rear of the home while officers at the front worked to distract the armed man. Upon entering the house, the rescue team found the young man who had been shot. While inside the house, they also observed a male who was deceased. Officers successfully rescued the critically injured young man who was subsequently transported to the hospital.

Minutes before 3:30 a.m., the shooter surrendered to officers and was taken in to custody. The suspect, who is not being identified at this time, was transported to Aurora Police Headquarters for questioning.

Officers worked quickly to search the house for additional victims, secure the crime scene area, and locate witnesses. No other victims were found. Detectives from the Major Crime Unit (MCU) and personnel with the Crime Scene Investigation Unit (CSI) responded to house and the hospital to take charge of the investigation.

It is unclear at this time what transpired in the moments leading up to the shooting.

Police are not releasing the identity of the deceased man pending positive identification and notification of family members.

Anyone with information about this case is asked to call MCU Detective Matt Fyles at (303)739-6067.

View Larger Map

KEEP WESTWORD FREE... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Michael Roberts has written for Westword since October 1990, serving stints as music editor and media columnist. He currently covers everything from breaking news and politics to sports and stories that defy categorization.
Contact: Michael Roberts