Business

Stan Kroenke wants to buy all of the St. Louis Rams: What's that mean for the Nuggets and Avalanche?

Stan Kroenke owns 40 percent of the St. Louis Rams football team -- and he reportedly is interested in purchasing the remaining 60 percent.

How might such a buy impact Kroenke's Denver sports franchises -- the Denver Nuggets and the Colorado Avalanche? Kroenke isn't getting into specifics, but his company, Kroenke Sports Enterprises, has released a statement confirming its commitment to its Denver properties and mentioning the Nuggets and the Avalanche by name.

The implication: Just because he may be spending millions on the Rams doesn't mean he's abandoning Colorado.

Read the KSE statement below:

KSE Statement on Pending St. Louis Rams Sale

"On Monday, Mr. E. Stanley Kroenke announced his intention to purchase the remaining interest in the St. Louis Rams franchise of the National Football League. There will be much speculation in the coming days and weeks about this transaction," said KSE Executive Vice President Paul Andrews. "We will not speculate or comment further about this decision."

"Mr. Kroenke and his family remain fully committed to Denver and each KSE-owned property. We are excited that the Avalanche and Nuggets have had successful seasons and look forward to an exciting postseason for both teams," concluded Andrews.

KEEP WESTWORD FREE... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we'd like to keep it that way. With local media under siege, it's more important than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" program, allowing us to keep offering readers access to our incisive coverage of local news, food and culture with no paywalls.
Michael Roberts has written for Westword since October 1990, serving stints as music editor and media columnist. He currently covers everything from breaking news and politics to sports and stories that defy categorization.
Contact: Michael Roberts