| Crime |

Stephen Graves, Man Living in Yard House Ceiling: Multiple Wine Corks

Keep Westword Free
I Support
  • Local
  • Community
  • Journalism
  • logo

Support the independent voice of Denver and help keep the future of Westword free.

Last week, Mark Antonation at our Cafe Society blog told you about a man who'd been living in the ceiling of the downtown Yard House becoming trapped in a wall amid flooding that forced the restaurant to temporarily close. Now, that man, Stephen Graves, has been formally charged with several crimes. Continue for photos, video and details from the police report, which offers several clues about what Graves was doing in there: multiple wine corks.

See also: Man Living in the Ceiling of the Yard House Downtown Becomes Trapped in Wall

At a few minutes after midnight on December 10, according to Graves's probable cause statement, a white male in tan pants was observed falling through the ceiling of the Yard House, at 1555 Court Place, after which he began to "crawl around the scaffolding at the location." Then he vanished.

A short time later, a Denver police officer was escorted to what's described as "a secure area above the restaurant scaffolding where the suspect was last seen."

The location is described as being directly above the Yard House ceiling, about thirty feet into the duct work.

There, the officer observed "multiple wine bottle corks" and a cardboard box in which it appeared the suspect had been sleeping.

Also seen in the boiler room, which should only have been accessible to the maintenance staff, was a broken sprinkler head -- one presumably busted by the Yard House's secret resident.

The result was flooding that caused an estimated $100,000-plus in damage to the Yard House dining room and the lobby of the Sheraton Hotel.

Hunter Robinson, communications manager for the Yard House, a California-based operation started by former Denverite Steele Platt, told Antonation that the Yard House was forced to close early to deal to deal with the situation and evacuate customers due to the flooding. "Our first concern was for everyone's safety," he noted.

That includes Graves, who was ultimately located around 2:30 a.m. after he was heard moaning inside a wall. His digs currently consist of a cell, where he's being held on $7,000 bond. The beefs against him: burglary and two counts of criminal mischief. He's due to make his next court appearance tomorrow morning.

Here's a larger look at Graves's booking photo, followed by a 7News report from shortly after the incident and the police report.

Stephen Graves Probable Cause Statement

Send your story tips to the author, Michael Roberts.

Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.

We use cookies to collect and analyze information on site performance and usage, and to enhance and customize content and advertisements. By clicking 'X' or continuing to use the site, you agree to allow cookies to be placed. To find out more, visit our cookies policy and our privacy policy.


Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.


Join the Westword community and help support independent local journalism in Denver.