The night after the Colorado Rockies were swept out of the World Series, the late-night comics started hitting the team out of the park. First Stephen Colbert took aim at the Rockies' attempts to copyright "Rocktober," and then David Letterman offered up his Top Ten Colorado Rockies Excuses:
10: "Even we've never heard of most of our players"
9. "Didn't want game 5 to preempt House"
8. "Relax, there's still a lot of baseball to be played"
7. "The curse of the Bambino?"
6. "At that altitude, the beer really knocks you on your ass"
5. No number 5 -- writer preparing to go on strike
We Believe Local Journalism is Critical to the Life of a City
Engaging with our readers is essential to Westword's mission. Make a financial contribution or sign up for a newsletter, and help us keep telling Denver's stories with no paywalls.
Support Our Journalism
4. "Turns out our 'flaxseed oil' really was flaxseed oil"
3. "O.J. stole the equipment!"
2. "Manager distracted by Joe Torre walking around with his resume"
1. "Forget us -- someone want to explain the Jets?" -- Patricia Calhoun