Oatmeal chocolate chip cookies are the ultimate sweet treat: They're healthy-ish (for a cookie, anyway), and the replacement of the traditional raisins with mini chocolate chips adds decadence. Even better: This recipe is totally vegan, so the plant-based eater can enjoy all they want -- and their dairy-loving friends won't be able to tell the difference, either.
This recipe makes about three and a half dozen cookies. You will need:
2 tablespoons egg replacement powder (equivalent of 2 eggs; we use Bob's Red Mill) 6 tablespoons water 1 cup nondairy butter (Earth Balance works best for baking) 1 1/2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar 1/4 cup sugar 2 teaspoons vanilla extract 1 3/4 cups flour 1/2 cup oat bran 3/4 teaspoon baking soda 3/4 teaspoon baking powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon 3 cups rolled oats 1 cup dairy-free chocolate chips
Take the nondairy butter out of the fridge about an hour before you plan to start baking and let it soften.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
1. Put the egg replacement powder in a small bowl.
Add the water and whisk until smooth.
2. Put the egg replacement in a large bowl with the brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla.
Add the butter; it should be soft by now.
Use a mixer to thoroughly combine all the ingredients, creaming the nondairy butter into the sugar.
3. Place the flour, oat bran, baking soda, baking powder, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon in a separate bowl.
Whisk until everything is blended together.
4. Add the dry mixture to the wet. Use the mixer to blend everything thoroughly.
5. Add the rolled oats and the chocolate chips.
Stir until they're incorporated.
6. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or oil it. Place the cookies on the cookie sheet in small balls about an inch in diameter.
Bake for 16 minutes or until golden-brown.
Let cookies cool on the sheet before transferring to a baking rack to cool the rest of the way.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!