In the wake of controversial comments by Representative Gordon Klingenschmitt that appeared to politicize the womb-cutting attack on Michelle Wilkins in Longmont, at least one group, ProgressNow Colorado, called for him to resign.
The organization is getting something close to its wish in one way, but definitely not when it comes to the bigger picture.
Last night, Klingenschmitt held a town hall meeting at which he announced that he would not seek reelection to his current seat in the Colorado House, where he represents a district in the Colorado Springs area.
Instead, he declared his candidacy for the state senate circa 2016.
Klingenschmitt won his House race in a landslide. But if anyone challenges him for the senate, she or he will have plenty of fresh ammunition.
Klingenschmitt, nicknamed "Dr. Chaps," prevailed in House District 15, a slice of El Paso County so conservative that a Republican candidate would probably have to slap a baby on live TV to lose — and if the tot was the offspring of a Democrat, that still might not be enough. But even by the area's standards, he's on the fringes.
In addition to being behind the website PrayInJesusName.com, which boasts of sending "petitions to God & government to defend religious freedom," he's known for YouTube sermons in which he makes assorted claims that have provided fodder aplenty for the progressive outfit Right Wing Watch.
Among the Klingenschmitt salvos shared by the group — assertions that "Obamacare causes cancer," the Bible "commands people to own guns in order to 'defend themselves against left-wing crazies,'" and the FCC is "allowing demonic spirits to 'molest and visually rape your children.'"
A screen capture from another Gordon Klingenschmitt video.
YouTube file photo
After taking his oath as a step rep, Klingenschmitt didn't stop making divisive pronouncements on his YouTube channel, featuring regular programs/sermons under the Pray in Jesus Name title. For instance, he declared at one point that gays had lost their souls.
But the water got hotter for Klingenschmitt after he addressed the attack on Wilkins, whose baby was cut from her womb; charged in the case is Dynel Lane, a woman whose home Wilkins had visited after seeing a Craigslist ad for baby clothes.
On video, Klingenschmitt sketched out the basics of the assault on Wilkins before making reference to the Biblical passage Hosea 13:16, which reads, "The people of Samaria must bear their guilt, because they have rebelled against their God/They will fall by the sword; their little ones will be dashed to the ground, their pregnant women ripped open.”
"I wonder if there is prophetic significance to America today in that scripture," he said afterward. "This is the curse of God upon America for our sin of not protecting innocent children in the womb and part of that curse for our rebellion against God as a nation is that our pregnant women are ripped open."
These comments earned widespread condemnation, with House Minority Leader Brian DelGrosso going so far as to remove Klingenschmitt from the health, insurance and environmental committee as punishment.
A photo of Michelle Wilkins from her Facebook page.
Now, however, DelGross has reinstated Klingenschmitt to the committee in the wake of his weird public apology/media critique. And then, last night, during a town hall meeting at a Springs-area restaurant called The Airplane, Klingenschmitt announced that he's eschewing another term in the state house in favor of a bid for the state senate.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
In conjunction with the announcement, Klingenschmitt shared on his campaign website, Gordon for Colorado, a list of what he sees as his accomplishments as a legislator to date. Here's the rundown.
What has Gordon done as your State Rep. in the legislature?
Gordon Klingenschmitt has fought to:
1) Lower taxes, less government, free-market business, jobs not handouts:
• Introduced HB15-1044 to cut regulations on citizens and businesses (5-6 loss to Dems)
• Introduced largest spending cut amdt in the state budget: $52 million
• Voted “no” on the bloated, $26 Billion state budget
• Passed successful amendment to protect Firefighters’ right to organize (WIN!)
2) Protect religious freedom for people of all diverse faiths and beliefs
• Gordon is a former Navy Chaplain took a stand for the right to pray “in Jesus’ name,” and was vindicated by Congress, at cost of his own career
• Introduced HB15-1161 to protect artists, especially bakers (whether Christian or progay)
right to opt-out of “government-compelled speech/religion”
• Passed a successful amendment to guarantee First Amendment rights within a bad Democrat bill that would endanger free speech (WIN!)
• Only “NO” vote on 63-1 vote to oppose the Homosexual “Day of Silence” resolution
3) Defend your 2nd Amendment rights, especially to concealed carry in public
• Introduced HB15-1127 to stop frivolous lawsuits against business owners, if they let you concealed carry in their business, as Sherriff already permits (5-6 loss)
4) Get Colorado out of the “Common Core Education” standards and PARCC
• Restore local control to local school districts, parents, teachers, to decide what curricula, textbooks, and tests are given in schools—they’re your kids, not the government’s
• Introduced HB15-1208 to get out of “Common Core” consortium (5-6 loss)
5) Repeal Obamacare in Colorado statute, and restore free-market Health Care
• Introduced HB15-1163 to repeal “Bob Gardner Care” HB13-1266 in Colorado law that forced us to align with Obamacare forever (6-7 loss)
6) Oppose “Candy Marijuana for Kids” that endangers public safety
• Successfully lobbied/killed SB15-136 to deregulate candy pot (0-5 WIN!)
Bottom Line: Gordon Klingenschmitt is an Air Force Academy graduate, 20-year veteran, MBA business owner, PhD Theology, former Navy Chaplain, CCU College Professor, married 24yrs, won 70% election, fights for Republican principles.
Look below to see two reports.
The first, from KRDO-TV, shared the news about last night's announcement.
The second, from KOAA-TV, details his reinstatement to the aforementioned House committee.Send your story tips to the author, Michael Roberts.