Five reasons to take in the Boulder International Film Festival
Nothing classes up a film festival like Chevy Chase.
Our Boulder International Film Festival top five:
1. Be less poor. If you're like everyone else in America -- broke -- Recession Proof Friday is your night. For the cost of roughly three Lincolns, you can hang out at the Official Filmmaker Lounge, also know as the Boulder Draft House. There, you can
stalk chat up your favorite directors from the festival, who are probably broke themselves. So you'll have that in common.
2. Let your knees rest. Since it's a restricted weekend for Colorado Pass holders, take a weekend off from skiing or boarding. Instead, give back to the nature from which you take every weekend by screening Pirate for the Sea, a documentary about Greenpeace founder Paul Watson.
Colorado Rockies vs. San Francisco Giants
TicketsMon., Sep. 4, 1:10pm
Colorado Rockies vs. San Diego Padres
TicketsFri., Sep. 15, 6:40pm
Colorado Rockies vs. Miami Marlins
TicketsMon., Sep. 25, 6:40pm
Colorado Rockies vs. Los Angeles Dodgers
TicketsFri., Sep. 29, 6:10pm
Denver Outlaws / Major League Lacrosse All Star Game
TicketsSat., Dec. 29, 6:00pm
3. Be first. Kimberly Reed, apparently the first transgendered filmmaker in the country, gives a first look at her documentary Prodigal Sons on Friday. The film tracks her return to Helena, Montana, 20 years after her gender reassignment surgery, where she attends a class reunion.
4. Brush elbows with royalty. Burma Princess Inge Sargent will attend and speak at a closing-night screening of Burma VJ, which chronicles human-rights abuses through the lenses of video journalists in Burma. The film captured the grand prize at the International Documentary Federation of Amsterdam and is fresh off an appearance at Sundance.
5. Chevy f*#king Chase. Chase, in town to accept an Award of Excellence in Comedy, mingles with locals at the Valentine's Day Gala on Saturday, and takes part in an onstage Q&A session. There will also be a retrospective of his career, which means there will be scenes from Christmas Vacation, which pretty much makes it worth the drive to Boulder.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Denver, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.