MORE

Reid Gates, R.I.P.: Remembering Cedaredge teen who died in carbon monoxide accident

Reid Gates, seventeen, was Mr. Everything at Cedaredge High School. A track star who recently finished first among 3A high jumpers in the entire state. A football standout. And, not coincidentally, a straight-A student who'd begun thinking about enrolling at the Air Force Academy. But Gates won't get a chance to realize his abundant potential. He died of carbon monoxide poisoning over the weekend, and two friends who were with him remain hospitalized in Denver -- one in critical condition. Photos, video and the sad details below.

Gates's Facebook page, which is still active at this writing, features a number of photos highlighting his track accomplishments, including this shot of him receiving top honors for high jumping this past spring:

Reid Gates, R.I.P.: Remembering Cedaredge teen who died in carbon monoxide accident

Another image shows that his athletic skills translated to the water as well.

Reid Gates, R.I.P.: Remembering Cedaredge teen who died in carbon monoxide accident

We also found this video of Gates talking about his track accomplishments, yet coming across as charming, personable and becomingly modest.

Other looks at Gates come courtesy of 9News' emotional coverage, including clips of him on the gridiron....

Reid Gates, R.I.P.: Remembering Cedaredge teen who died in carbon monoxide accident

...and posing with his younger brother and his sister at her recent wedding:

Reid Gates, R.I.P.: Remembering Cedaredge teen who died in carbon monoxide accident

What took place this weekend represents the opposite of these joyful scenes. Here's what happened. Continue for more about the tragic death of Reid Gates, including additional photos and a video.  

The shed where the accident took place.
The shed where the accident took place.

Gates and pals Aaron Henrie, also seventeen, and Tyler Cooper, fifteen, decided to spend the night in a camper parked in a shed. In order to watch a movie on a TV in the camper, they started a generator in the shed, and while the structure's windows were open, carbon monoxide collected inside the camper.

After the three teens were found unconscious, they were rushed to a Denver hospital for treatment, but Gates couldn't be saved. For his part, Henrie was in critical condition at last report, while Cooper's status had been upgraded to good.

Cheryl and Ken Gates.
Cheryl and Ken Gates.

Parents Cheryl and Ken Gates, Air Force vets whose footsteps Reid likely would have followed, were still in Denver as of yesterday in order to offer support to the Henrie family, with whom they're close.

When speaking with 9News, Reid's parents displayed incredible courage in the face of their grief. Be prepared to tear up when you hear Ken say, "We're not the parents who lost Reid, our son. We're the parents who got to spend seventeen years with him."

Our sincere condolences to Gates's friends, family and loved ones. Here's the 9News report.

More from our News archive: "Premila Lal accidentally killed by friend Nerrek Galley searching for intruder."


Sponsor Content

Newsletters

All-access pass to top stories, events and offers around town.

Sign Up >

No Thanks!

Remind Me Later >