Colorado celebrated its 140th birthday on August 1. Because it was admitted to the Union on the hundredth anniversary of this country’s declaration of independence, it was quickly nicknamed the Centennial State. But to us, it’s always been Coolorado, the coolest state around, and the thousands of people moving here every month clearly agree.
But why is everyone so high on Colorado? Here are ten reasons.
10. The thirteenth step of the Capitol Building is a mile high (so is the row of purple seats at Coors Field).
9. If you live in Colorado, you own a railroad. And not just any railroad, but the highest, longest and most authentic steam railroad in the U.S.: the Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad, which is co-owned by the states of Colorado and New Mexico.
8. The Pikes Peak Cog Railway, which goes from Manitou Springs to the top of Pikes Peak, is the highest cog-railway train in the world.
7. The doughnuts at the 14,115-foot-high Summit House at the top of Pikes Peak rise to the occasion: They’re the only doughnuts in the world made at an altitude over 14,000 feet.
6. The road up Mt. Evans is the highest paved road in the country, going up to 14,258 feet above sea level.
Keep reading for five more reasons we're high on Colorado.
5. Royal Gorge boasts the highest suspension bridge in the hemisphere.
4. The Dwight Eisenhower Memorial Tunnel on Interstate 70 is the highest auto tunnel on the continent.
3. Leadville — also known as “Cloud City” and “The Two Mile High City” — is the highest incorporated city in the United States, at 10,430 feet, depending on who's counting. (It also has the country’s highest convenience store.)
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
2. Colorado has 54 Fourteeners (mountains over 14,000 feet), and they were climbed at least 260,000 times last year.
1. Like golf balls and baseballs, alcohol goes further at altitude, which means visitors from sea level are a cheap drunk.