Monolith Festival, owners of perhaps the most aflame lineup of bands in 2008, starts Saturday at Red Rocks, and Backbeat will cover it end to end – with reviews, photos, and all the beer-fueled musings fit to print. Check back here on Saturday and Sunday for live blogs, and westword.com/slideshow on Monday for a visual recap. Don't betray your wanting eyes, people: Bookmark that shit.
In the meantime, Music Editor Dave Herrera, whose head has exploded with excitement four times this afternoon alone, checks in with eight acts you won't want to miss, which pair nicely with the 1,476 or so other acts you probably don't want to miss.
1. Devotchka – Saturday, 10:30, Main Stage
2. TV On the Radio – Sunday, 8:45, Main Stage
3. Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings – Sunday, 5:45, Main Stage
4. Band of Horses – Sunday, 7:15 p.m., Main Stage
5. Akron/Family – Sunday, 8 p.m., New Belgium Stage
6. The Giraffes – Sunday, 9:10 p.m., Gigbot Stage
7. Holy Fuck – Saturday, 5 p.m., New Belgium Stage
8. Blitzen Trapper – Saturday, 3:50 p.m., Gigbot Stage
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.