By now you've seen the monstrosity that's been constructed at Civic Center Park. Turns out it wasn't a mini-skyscraper skyscraper after all. It's a ramp, as you can see here in the photo taken just a bit ago from the top of structure by our always intrepid scribe and resident daredevil, Britt Chester. In just a few short hours, dudes are, evidently, going to catching crazy air or something on this thing. Snowboarding. Yep. In the heart of of the city. How about that? While we were sleeping, apparently, someone converted our fair city into one giant urban shred and breakfast.
So, yeah, a ramp in the middle of Civic Center? Why, you ask? Well, the Snow Sports Industry America (SIA) tradeshow is in town this week and Big Air begins tonight. It's all snow sports all the time for the next five days or so. The SIA Tradeshow is only open to industry professionals, but Denverites are still able to party their snowy asses off thanks to a gaggle of shows and events going on. Here's a list of stuff happening this week. If we missed anything, please feel free to let us know by chiming in below.
Tuesday, January 25 - Switchfoot Big Air at Civic Center Park ($45, tix on sale at the gate or $29 at Whole Foods)
- Stoney's Bar and Grill presents BIG AIR PARTY Live Music, DJ, Free Tattoos from Endless Ink, Snowboard Raffle plus prizes (Stoney's Bar and Grill, 11th & Lincoln, free and open to public)
Wednesday, January 26
- Euphonic Conceptions presents the Official Big Air AfterParty With AnaSia, Virtual Boy and SuperDre (Bluebird Theater, 3317 E. Colfax, $19.50adv, $22 DOS)
- OneRepublic Big Air at Civic Center Park ($45, tix on sale at the gate or at Whole Foods)
- Night of the Living Shred [Snowboard Edition] SIA JUMP OFF PARTY Beauty Bar (Beauty Bar, 608 E. 13th Avenue, no cover, drink specials)
- Stoney's Bar and Grill presents "X-Games Pick 'Em" (Stoney's Bar and Grill, 11th & Lincoln, free and open to public)
- Funky Buddha presents the Big Air Kick Off Party (776 Lincoln, free to public)
Thursday, January 27
- Snow Down 2011 DJ Z-Trip, DJ Digi, Klaw, DJ Musa, DJ Sick, Slim Thugz, Cavem Moetevation, Willdabeast, London Dungeon, Sorry for Partying, CobraConda, Dj Mada, DJ Cassidy, DJ Sounds Supreme, Black Prez and Ali Pierre at City Hall Amphitheatre (1144 Broadway, tickets $25-$30)
Friday, January 28
- Winter Greens Tour / Transworld Riders Poll Awards With Rebelution at Fillmore Auditorium ($27)
- Kraddy With Jantsen and ProJect Aspect at Bluebird Theater ($18-$20)
Saturday, January 29
- Raekwon Under Armour 3rd Rail Jam and Snowboard Colorado Magazine Presents, with DJ Image at Summit Music Hall ($20)
- Analog Space and SIA Present Franki Chan With BLKHRTS and Peter Black at Larimer Lounge ($12-$15)
- MOB Factory and Stoney's Bar and Grill present the SIA After BASH With DJ Rashka, Slaugherhouse Roots, S.T.O.I.C and Walter J Liveharder, and "X-Games Pick 'Em" at Stoney's (Stoney's Bar and Grill, 11th & Lincoln, free and open to public)
Sunday, January 30
- Stoney's Bar and Grill presents "X-Games Pick 'Em Final" (Stoney's Bar and Grill, 11th & Lincoln, free and open to public)
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.