Update, 5 p.m. Friday: The answers are below. If you think you won, check your email right now. Thanks for playing, let's do it again sometime.
Oh hey. Didn't notice you there, we were too busy looking up questions for our latest contest. Backbeat is giving away five pairs of tickets to the Sonic Youth show on Monday, October 4 at the Ogden Theatre. All you have to do is provide the correct answers to the six questions below (make sure to leave your actual email address so we can get in touch with you) as a comment. Five winners will be chosen at random from those who answer correctly.
1. Thurston Moore is a big fan of black metal, and it turns out that some black metal musicians are fans of Sonic Youth. One member of a black metal band went as far as to write Moore a fan letter of sorts. What is the name of that black metal band?
Answer: Bone Awl (as noted below, Moore mentioned the band in an interview with Decibel magazine. In that same interview, he mentions he's a fan of Mayhem, but nowhere is there documentation that a member of Mayhem wrote Moore a fan letter. You can read an archived version of the interview on this messageboard.
2. About a year ago, Sonic Youth played themselves on a TV show. What is the show's title and what is the episode's title?
Answer: Xoxo. Yep, it's Gossip Girl. The episode was "Rufus Getting Married,," and their appearance made some bloggers barf all over their keyboards. The band played an acoustic version of "Starpower." One commenter below pegged it as "an awful acoustic song." Ouch.
3. Back to Thurston Moore: He formed a band that was generally panned during its sole show at South by Southwest 2010. The punk covers band featured what other members during its live set?
Answer: Band members included J. Mascis (Dinosaur Jr), Awesome Allison (Awesome Color), Jonah Falco (Fucked Up) and Don Fleming (Sonic Youth producer.) No W.K., so Falco filled in. Watch a video of them doing "My Rules" here by Void and then listen to the original.
4. Sonic Youth's first listed show was in May 1981. On the flyers they were billed as Sonic Youth and on other flyers they were known as _______ _____.
Answer: Fucking Youth. No explanation here.
5. A New York band through and through, when and where was Sonic Youth's first show after 9/11? Name the venue and date.
Answer: 10/07/01 - NYC, NY @ Bowery Ballroom -- more info on the Sonic Youth website.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
6. What was the date and venue of Sonic Youth's first show in Denver?
Resale Concert Tickets
Answer: 07/12/86 - Denver, CO at Duetscher Hang -- more info on the Sonic Youth website.
And since we're on the Internet, the answers should take you about 10 minutes and some strategic Googling (or Binging). Good luck! Contest ends at 5 p.m. Friday. We'll get in touch with the winners over the weekend.
Here's some music to get you in the mood.