For the better part of a year, we've been covering the sad story of Dylan Redwine, a thirteen year old whose remains were found in June, many months after he went missing.
Since then, much attention has focused on Mark Redwine, Dylan's dad, who the teen had been visiting -- and while he's never officially been named a person of interest in the case, the latest search of his home yesterday has spurred a new round of speculation. See photos, videos and details below.
The basics about the case, as we've we've reported them: Dylan's mother, Elaine, divorced Mark in 2007; Dylan moved with his mom from Southwestern Colorado to Colorado Springs in 2011. On November 18, however, Dylan traveled to the community of Vallecito, not far from Durango, to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with his dad.
The next day, Mark told representatives of the La Plata Sheriff's Office that he left home around 7:30 a.m. to run some errands, and upon his return four hours later, Dylan was gone. And he remained missing until his remains were discovered in a search of Middle Mountain, not far from Vallecito Lake, in late June.
In the interim, Elaine raised questions about Mark, sharing with ABC News her suspicion that her ex-husband may have tried to "remove Dylan from the situation. You know, like, 'If I can't have him, nobody will.'
"I was married to Mark for a lot of years, and I know the way he reacts to things," she went on. "If Dylan maybe did or said something that wasn't what Mark wanted to hear, I'm just afraid of how Mark would have reacted."
Responding to these implications, Mark told 7News that Elaine was making the situation "more than it needs to be" before adding that he wanted to avoid lashing out at her.
The public bickering continued on a national stage. Here's Elaine and Mark on an episode of Dr. Phil from earlier this year.
Also piling on Mark has been the Calling Mark Redwine Facebook page, whose profile photo features Dylan's dad with a Pinocchio-like nose. And yesterday, a post there featured some intriguing news.
Continue for more about the latest developments in the Dylan Redwine case, including photos and video. The post reads:
Am up @beautiful Vallecito Lake.. Just drove by MR house on the way to camp and, will not speculate, but, well, maybe just a little bit. Something BIG is going on.. 8 vehicles.. 2 LPSD, 3 black & one white SUV, Upper Pine Rescue, a truck with it's tailgate down... boxes an stuff, and a couple other cars all lining the road in front of Mark's house. I hope and pray for resolution.... at the end of this day. You can't run, u can't hide. Praying for Dylan.. RIPeace Little Man.
Before long, 9News and other outlets reported that a search had indeed been conducted at Mark's La Plata County home -- the third following Dylan's disappearance (but first since last year), with multiple law-enforcement agencies taking part over an estimated three-hour span.
According to Mark, investigators "removed sections of carpet and wood flooring," plus "a fireplace poker, clothing and a cell phone," and "dug a hole in his yard underneath an outdoor staircase," the station revealed.
The Justice for DYLAN Facebook page also weighed in on the developments, via this item:
I know that many of you in the Community saw Law Enforcement at Mark's house this afternoon. Most definitely 10 SUV's are noticeable and I know there are a lot of questions. I just wanted to confirm this information is true. But that's about all I can tell you for now. Justice is coming, I can promise you that.
I would also like to add that I hope Mark is enjoying this beautiful summer evening, because I am.
Love and Light
La Plata County Sheriff Duke Schirard characterized the search to 7News as merely a "follow up" in "a still wide-open investigation," presumably in an effort to short circuit expectations of an impending bust. But interest in the matter remains high and is unlikely to flag anytime soon.
Look below to see the aforementioned 9News piece.
More from our Colorado Crimes archive circa July: "Dylan Redwine investigation: Justice for DYLAN page doesn't want Facebook fight."
Keep Westword Free... Since we started Westword, it has been defined as the free, independent voice of Denver, and we would like to keep it that way. Offering our readers free access to incisive coverage of local news, food and culture. Producing stories on everything from political scandals to the hottest new bands, with gutsy reporting, stylish writing, and staffers who've won everything from the Society of Professional Journalists' Sigma Delta Chi feature-writing award to the Casey Medal for Meritorious Journalism. But with local journalism's existence under siege and advertising revenue setbacks having a larger impact, it is important now more than ever for us to rally support behind funding our local journalism. You can help by participating in our "I Support" membership program, allowing us to keep covering Denver with no paywalls.