President Donald Trump's hard-line stance on immigration has sent immigrants, their attorneys and sanctuary cities like Denver into a tizzy. Rumors of Immigration and Customs Enforcement raids and checkpoints are running rampant, and local attorneys are scrambling to provide accurate information to concerned, often frightened immigrants. Keep reading for ten stories about recent immigration issues.
Julie Gonzales giving a "Know Your Rights" presentation on Wednesday, March 1.
1. Immigration Lawyers Scrambling to Address Fears of ICE Checkpoints and Raids
The Colorado Department of Corrections houses 1,052 foreign-born prisoners who are slated to be deported upon release, including 410 past their parole eligibility date.
2. Awaiting Deportation, Immigrants in State Prisons Costing $37 Million a Year
Courtesy Marco Dorado
3. Meet Marco Dorado, Exhibit A in What's Wrong With Trump's Immigration Policies
4. Denver Officials "Ready to Fight” Trump on Immigration Orders
Jeanette Vizguerra meeting the media in 2014.
5. Day Without Immigrants: Jeanette Vizguerra's Sanctuary Story Goes National
Keep reading for more stories about immigration.
6. Colorado Restaurant Association Alerts Members to Day Without Immigrants
Sudanese coffee is laced with spices.
7. Sudan Cafe Builds a Lasting Home in Aurora's Immigrant Restaurant Community
8. As Immigration Raids Spread, Mayor Hancock Tries to Reassure Denver
9. Jeff Sessions's Confirmation Spurs Pot Biz Pain, GOP Pleasure, Immigration Worries
10. Activist: In Trump Age, Verbal Racism Aimed at Denver Kids of Color Is Rising